Laws for Kayaks off the beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In a pinch, you can come back anywhere, including protected areas. Just expect a lot of whistling and some grief from the lifeguard. I had a situation where my buddy couldn't make it back to the entry point and we came ashore and it wasn't a huge deal. I just explained that I know, but we couldn't make it back. What are they going to do; they can't stop you from coming ashore and possibly creating a rescue situation. You try it repeatedly though and you can expect the grief to escalate...

I think their main concern is a hard-sided boat and paddles contacting an unsuspecting swimmer in the head. You can minimize some of that by steering clear of swimmers and get out asap and handling your yak manually.

You can also put in protected areas before they arrive at 9 AM and then paddle to the exit at an authorized launch area. Thay way you get to see areas that you might not otherwise be able to access.

Meade St is an authorized launch and recovery spot for non-motorized craft in Hollywood Beach. I launched early one day about a half mile to the south, when I tried to come in the lifeguards were blowing their whistles, yelling and waving me off, all the way up to Meade St.

I've ended up coming in sideways a few times with a breaking wave, if there was some little 3-4 year old between my kayak and the beach he could get hurt. That would be my guess why they don't allow hard kayaks at the swim beaches.

Dennis, I certainly have to agree with you on that.

Ah, folks...?
Last year kayakers were using Datura Ave. entrance at Lauderdale-by-the-Sea to get to the reefs. This year we are bringing our kayak for the same reason.
Any new developments on that? LBTS has great shower areas, and no lifeguards. And it's a long drive from OKC if we can't use the yak.

Also, we understand from the security at Blue Heron Bridge that night dives are out ... unless you have a boat. My husband understood that to mean a kayak is acceptable. Any news on that? (Horseshoe crab, a shy octopus, something like a large southern ray heading to sea ... must go diving ... must go diving ... oooooh...) :thinkingo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom