lavacore vs sharkskin vs thermoprene

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I only have dove with the sharkskin pants recently. I like them, but to use as an undergarment seems overkill unless under a dry suit IMHO.....use was in 78-80 degree water.

You must be more cold tolerant than I...

I use my Thermocline or sharkskin (I have both, they're pretty much the same IMO) under my 3mm in the months post drysuit (77- 80F)

I may switch to a one piece instead of a 3mm or continue to wear a 3mm top under my 3mm depending on water thermoclines.

I do like them all because they breathe. On the surface they are all much better than a rash vest especially in hot humid climes where you want to keep the sun off

I know Lavacore, Sharkskin, etc., have their fans, but I was disappointed by the Lavacore hooded vest I tried. The idea was to layer it with a 3 mm or 5 mm suit, but I just did not perceive it to add much insulation, maybe the equivalent of 2 mm of neoprene. With a name like "Lavacore," you'd think the stuff would have magic insulating properties. I ended up getting a 3 mm neoprene hooded vest and was satisfied with the insulation and the price (compared with pricey Lavacore). Sure, the downside is having to compensate for additional buoyancy, but I'd rather carry more lead than be chilly.

I know Lavacore, Sharkskin, etc., have their fans, but I was disappointed by the Lavacore hooded vest I tried. The idea was to layer it with a 3 mm or 5 mm suit, but I just did not perceive it to add much insulation, maybe the equivalent of 2 mm of neoprene. With a name like "Lavacore," you'd think the stuff would have magic insulating properties. I ended up getting a 3 mm neoprene hooded vest and was satisfied with the insulation and the price (compared with pricey Lavacore). Sure, the downside is having to compensate for additional buoyancy, but I'd rather carry more lead than be chilly.

They're advertised as being equivalent to approx 2.5mm of neoprene. I'm not so sure.

I like the tops that have the latex seal that prevents flushing, I find those warmer. I will wear just a Sharkskin one piece instead of a normal wetsuit, but it needs to be very warm for that

I agree with you point on insulation. Personally I prefer the Sharkskin hood, because I don't like the fit of a neoprene hood. Bu the neoprene is warmer for sure

They're advertised as being equivalent to approx 2.5mm of neoprene. I'm not so sure.

Interesting. I had never seen that advertised--my figure of "2mm" was entirely my own guess. I could as easily have said I think it feels like the equivalent of 1.5mm of neoprene, but it's all hair-splitting. Plus or minus a millimeter. It just didn't make enough of a warmth difference to me.

I can completely see layering a Lavacore/Sharkskin under a 3mm suit in 77-80F water, as you said you do. That's exactly what I did for a while, but found that at low end of that range the layering just wasn't cutting it. At that point, I went for a 5mm suit. The right tool for the job.

That's exactly what I did for a while, but found that at low end of that range the layering just wasn't cutting it. At that point, I went for a 5mm suit. The right tool for the job.

I can see why a 5mm works for you. Here however, it's not the optimum so I and others seek compromise

For me when the water is cooler than 77F I prefer my Drysuit. When the water has warmed up to that temp, the air temperatures are much higher. For us wearing a 5mm after April is a no no, you just couldn't gear up without suffering heat exhaustion. By mid may the sea will only be 80F but the air will be above 110F Hence the layering.

For me, this is where the Sharkskin/Lavacore etc come into their own. You can wear them without over temping, you can get them wet before putting on the 3mm to help keep you cool (and you gear up and carry out your checks quickly) They do an acceptable job of keeping you warm during the dive, with the advantage of less positive buoyancy

I think they have merits for travel with a 3mm plus sharkskin etc being lighter (especially on the way home) than a 5mm and of course you don't need to experience the cold damp wet suit for the first dive as the under layer is bone dry. In the end I think the choice is a balance dependant upon peoples circumstances and preferences.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom