Launching Wheels for Inflatables

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

krawdady

Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with the different types of wheels used to pull a Zodiac over sand to get to the water? I see Pelican makes a type that is a hard resin that I like but I have heard mxed reviews about how well they go through the sand. They are 3 1/2 inches wide and 5 inches tall and mount to the back of the transom. They pull down when you need them and flip back up when you don't. I can get them on Amazon for $62.00 which is cheap enough. There are a few other options out there but I don't really want to spend a ton of money. I'm also not opposed to building my own if anyone has been successful at that.

I had an inflatable for a number of years. I did not use wheels until the last 5-6 times I used it In Baja It was night and day as far as launching in Baja.

At the suggestion and recomendation of other owners I purchased the very best --I recall over 200 dollars. Money well spent!

When I sold the boat I keep the wheels --but never purchased another boat!
Still have the wheels don't recall the name brand.

Suggest that you purchase a good sturdy pair especially since you will be loading it with dive gear.

good luck!

sdm

Thanks. I'm not shopping on price alone but if I can find something that is not that expensive but will work I will do it.

sam is telling you for your own good, (Allinflatables.com)

buy used or buy the inflatable with,keep the best boat.

saltwater damage, buy new.

krawdady,

I currently own a sunfish sailboat and a kayak and I used to own a Prindle catamaran. All of which are/were launched off the beach. I can tell you that IMO the best wheels you can find are the wheels from Cat Trax. We used to roll my friends 14 foot zodiac down the beach and we used a small set of Cat Trax. Cat Trax are used to roll Hobie Cat (& Prindle, etc) sailboats across the beach. You can see what they look like here.

How easy it rolls across the beach will depend on the softness of the beach sand. The higher and wider the tire is the easier it will roll. The 3.5 x 5 tires that you mention would do nothing but sink in the sand like anchors over here in Fort Lauderdale. The sand in Ft. Myers is much harder than the sand over here but I would still go for a bigger & wider tire because the Zodiac is heavy and will still probably sink a 3.5 wide tire into the sand. You can get some better beach wheels here.

If these options don't look good for you then try calling Darryl at HaulZall. He can sell you some smaller wheels that should do well in Ft. Myers sand. I purchased a low speed high powered wagon with beach tires from him that I use to drag my sailboat, kayak & 3 kids up and down the beach here.

Hope this helps.
-Chris

Ocean that is awesome I am going to order that $539 pair now for the front of my inflatable, motor, gear, gas, dead fish, for two is 500 pnds. I dont need it all the time as i lauch and have many Inflatables, thought about building one, But hate wasting my diving and single malt time.

thanx

Hey Ocean that is a nice wagon. I looked at all the websites you sent me. Thanks. I may end up buying something like that. I wanted to post my question before I bought anything because Iv'e learned that it doesn't matter how good of a deal something is if it doesn't work for what you want it to.

I bought these in 1980 in a ship's store in Houston. They were fitted first on our Achilles and then latter on the Novurania. The arms attach to the transom with some brackets that allow the wheels to be quickly removed or flipped up or down as needed with a quick release pin. The brackets stay mounted to the transom. The wheels and tires are pneumatic and easily float a loaded inflatable over soft sand even with a 25 horse engine in place. I would get on one side and my wife the other and we would roll it. Sometimes we would have to rest along the way. I don't know the brand or where to get them but I imagine something similar is still out there. This wheel you can see is broken. This is the second set of wheels on the arms. Next time I think I will try and find an aluminum wheel. To put our boat back in action first we need a good two stroke Merc 25, I sold ours and that was a mistake not realizing that the overly heavy engines today would be so hard on my back.

DSCF0072.jpg

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom