latex socks inside turboboots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jasper

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking for opinions on a cheap fix for my leaky turboboots. It seems to be leaking somewhere along the neoprene/rubber sole junction but I can't seem to slop on enough aquaseal to stop it.

I like the turboboots for finning and I'm looking for a very low cost fix. My thought is to cement in a pair of latex socks on the inside of the boots. I'm a bit worried about water getting into the dead space between socks and boot but otherwise I don't see a problem. Maybe I should even slit the neoprene to allow that space to dry.

Has anyone tried anything similar?

Latex definitely doesn't sound like a good idea to me. The problem I'd see is that latex tends to degrade over time; sometimes quickly.

Why not flip the turbo soles/boots inside out and "paint" the whole thing w. Aquaseal? An extra large tube of Aquaseal is less than $25 delivered to your door (on Ebay). You can then "thin" the Aquaseal with Acetone (or even better, Toluene if you have access to it). You can thin it using a 1:1 ratio, or even thinner if you feel the need. After thinned, it can be painted on. You would probably want to do two passes over any seams or compromised areas. You'll effectively create a urethane rubber inner sock that will be much more durable than latex.

I don't quite remember how rigid turbo soles are so maybe this whole procedure is not possible, but this would be my suggestion if it is possible to flip them inside out.

Back
Top Bottom