Latex hood squeeze?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KD8NPB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I dove a latex hooded drysuit for the first time today. I was wearing an OEM viking hood liner underneath, the one that is halfway up your forehead and has flaps that come down over your ears.

As I followed the lake wall and descended to my depth of 44 ft, there was a noticeable amount of squeeze inside the hood. It felt a lot like I was getting an ear block back when I dove wet. It progressively got tighter and tighter as I descended. However, it was fine on my ascent. Also, my semi-exposed forehead got a little chilly (it was covered by latex, but had no liner over it).

Am I supposed to add enough air to vent through the neck seal to compensate? Is there a better underhood out there that provides more insulation?

Air was 49F, bottom temp was 50F.

I have to say though, that was the overall warmest my head/neck has ever been!

Latex hood.... hmmmm.

You didn't get arrested for wearing it in public did you? :wink:

You have a link to whatever it is you bought because I'm not aware of drysuits having latex hoods. This is new to me.

R..

I've worn Vikings with these dry hoods for years.. and love them. I dive with my mask over the edge of the hood, so as I am descending, I just hold my mask tight to my face and blow out though my nose... which "forces" air into the hood. I don't think you should have a neck seal venting air! Hope this helps!

391645_366290066794853_345921763_n.jpg

BTW, Diver0001, these guys (NYPD doing the "Sandy" thing) are using latex hoods...

Latex hood.... hmmmm.

You didn't get arrested for wearing it in public did you? :wink:

You have a link to whatever it is you bought because I'm not aware of drysuits having latex hoods. This is new to me.

R..

Surveyor Latex Hood - Ansell Protective Solutions

I've worn Vikings with these dry hoods for years.. and love them. I dive with my mask over the edge of the hood, so as I am descending, I just hold my mask tight to my face and blow out though my nose... which "forces" air into the hood. I don't think you should have a neck seal venting air! Hope this helps!

View attachment 139771

BTW, Diver0001, these guys (NYPD doing the "Sandy" thing) are using latex hoods...

The water seal on it was superb. I put the edges over my mask...it sealed like a FFM! My face was a little chilly at first, but I acclimated fast.

I'm surprised I didn't think of doing a "mask purge" into the hood! I'll give that a shot the next time I'm out.

What hood liner do you use?

The suit is a DUI RS-1050 by the way... I think it may be a little small on me. Sadly, DUI size 01 is not equal to a Viking size 01! I may have to add about 2" to the legs...it feels like it is constricting my mobility. It is a little hard to bend my legs.

This is the first time I've dove an EPDM suit as well... I've only tried them on and screwed around with them on the land.

I've been diving Viking suits since '89 & yeah hold your mask & blow air into the hood. Under some conditions air can vent past the neck seal too.

On kind of an opposite subject: do you have a vent on your hood? The hood can balloon up annoyingly without one. I had one factory installed in my latest. Earlier suits I glued a mask vent into the peak of the hood. Don't cut a big hole or it can leak, an 1/8" or less is sufficient.

This is the only pic I have handy & doesn't really show the hood too well:

harbor-seal-Lobos-with-Wayn.jpg

I've been diving Viking suits since '89 & yeah hold your mask & blow air into the hood. Under some conditions air can vent past the neck seal too.

On kind of an opposite subject: do you have a vent on your hood? The hood can balloon up annoyingly without one. I had one factory installed in my latest. Earlier suits I glued a mask vent into the peak of the hood. Don't cut a big hole or it can leak, an 1/8" or less is sufficient.

This is the only pic I have handy & doesn't really show the hood too well:

Nice seal. The best I get around here is curious sunfish and an occasional perch or catfish.

I don't have a vent, but I'm probably going to throw one in the next time we restock from Viking. The Poseidon Unisuit I tried had an integrated hood. It ballooned up a lot. I would just smack it down with my palm to burp the air out.

Back
Top Bottom