Latex and 7 mm suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingCRNA

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Group,

My wife has a latex allergy. A real one. We are both nurses and know about the pseudo latex allergies. She has been in the ER with shortness of breath with hers.

She needs a 7 mm suit to dive around here in the midwestern lakes. Is there a good, warm, latex free 7 mm suit? Do drysuits have latex seals?

Any suggestions? She likes her Akona 3 mm suit.

Thanks,

Don

Most drysuits have latex seals, but you can get many with neoprene seals. AFAIK there should be no issues with any wetsuits, but I'm sure others on the board have more details.

Jonnythan,

I bought her a Bare 7 mm wetsuit and it is supposed to be semi-dry and has latex seals at the forearms, calves, and neck. We called Bare today to find out why she got the rash trying on the suit.

Don

Does it really have latex seals? I thought most semi-dries had neoprene seals. Could it be the bare neoprene on the seals causing the irritation? Most neoprene is covered with a thin layer of nylon to make it soft and easy to put on, whereas bare neoprene makes a good seal. Latex seals are very thin and very stretchy.

jonnythan:
Does it really have latex seals? I thought most semi-dries had neoprene seals. Could it be the bare neoprene on the seals causing the irritation? Most neoprene is covered with a thin layer of nylon to make it soft and easy to put on, whereas bare neoprene makes a good seal. Latex seals are very thin and very stretchy.
I have 2 Bare suits and all of the limb seals are smooth rubber without fabric. The seem more like a solid rubber than a gass filled material like neoprene. I guess they could be latex. They do grab espacially when sliding your hand through the forearm seal.

Pete

From the OS Systems website:
-----------------------------------
[font=Arial,Helvetica]LongLife Latex Seals™ are not hypoallergenic, however, each does undergo a triple leeching process to minimize the protein content. Protein content is thought to be a contributing factor in some allergic reactions to rubber.
-----------------------------------
I do know of a paramedic that has tried the OS Systems latex seals and has not had an alergic reaction like he does with the gloves he used at work (now he uses vinyl). If you give me your mailing addres in a private email, I can have a seal sent for your wife to try on and see if she has a reaction to it.

dive@ossystems.com

[/font]

spectrum:
I have 2 Bare suits and all of the limb seals are smooth rubber without fabric. The seem more like a solid rubber than a gass filled material like neoprene. I guess they could be latex. They do grab espacially when sliding your hand through the forearm seal.

Pete
Those are neoprene seals. I've heard of people having issues with bare neoprene.. but just FYI it's not latex.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom