Latest PADI specialty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ironically, if the course is REALLY successful, it will eventually no longer be taught. After all, it is currently referred to as Lionfish Awareness and Elimination Course. :wink:
You could at least teach half the course out here in Asia. There aren't enough of the cute cuddly critters in our waters to keep us happy.

I dont see how this course is "silly" it teaches new divers the problems that the reefs are encountering. It is by no means a requirment of any kind and totally optional. So why does anybody have a problem with this??????:idk:

I kill them all the time and then leave them for the crabs.

While people are having some good fun hear poking fun at the concept, I think it might be helpful of people understood the concept of a Distinctive Specialty.

A PADI Distinctive Specialty is created by an individual instructor or group of instructors. It reflects that individual group or individual's idea of a a course in which students might be interested and which may be beneficial to their growth as divers. It is not a general PADI course, and it is only taught by those who are eligible to teach that specialty. It can be anything from something very specific to an area, or it can be something that is valuable in a general sense.

Two years ago when i was in Hawai'i, I managed to get a SB diver to take a day off and show me some of the big island's great shore diving opportunities. Given the tremendous cost of boat diving there, I would think a lot of divers would be happy to take a Distinctive Specialty course named Big Island Shore Diver. This course would show the best sites and provide a number of tips related to entry points, local laws, etc. It would include a few guided dives. Most people would not care, frankly, about getting a card with it, but so what if one comes with it? That would be an example of a Distinctive Specialty with local interest.

A card with a more universal interest would be one that was created last year by some PADI instructors in Florida. They are also certified cave instructors for several agencies, and they created a PADI Distinctive Specialty in cave diving. Its standards and requirements are consistent with the standards of the main cave diving agencies like NSS-CDS and NACD.

If I were to go to Cozumel or another area that is having a lion fish problem, I would be very interested in taking such a course. I don't care about the card, but I don't see any reason to ridicule the existence of the course.

BTW, Nice threads SI clothing..just got my order saaaweeett...sorry to hijack, but thought i'd drop a line of kuddos to SI clothing!

Well, thank you for that! be sure to tell a dive buddy! and we love pictures on our Facebook page. (we have a myspace, but that is SO last year....)

....back to reading the posts...

You know, by adding any course to the PADI certification list, it causes new diveblood to stop and think "I wonder what that's all about." Then they read the short blurb. Even if they don't move forward with that certification, they DO walk away with some form of awareness.

Kind of like in HighSchool where you have to decide what courses you want to take, or in college electives, etc. You read the summary to determine if that course is for you.

I recommend a "keep your a** off the coral/DON'T TOUCH THAT!!" specialty card.

Wonder if i could write an "underwater card collector" speciality and get it approved...

There is/was an underwater hunter speciality - it appeared on PIC Online as recently as last year.

They've approved a lionfishing killing one so maybe we can now go one further and have
Seal Clubbing Speciality
Shark Finning Speciality
Underwater dredging Speciality
maybe even a "Sea Life Removal" Speciality.

Rather than take a bunch of "awareness" courses, why not take actual collegiate courses in marine biology, marine environment and conservation? I know....those take time, studying and you're not virtually guaranteed to pass.
When I want to learn more about sharks, whales, or lionfish I won't be looking to PADI to be the educator.

-Mitch

There must be lots and lots of Distinctive Specialty courses out there (I know of no comprehensive list), and it may be that very few of of them is as thorough as a college textbook chapter or a lecture on the topic. But do keep in mind that what is known about lionfish, for example, wouldn't fill an entire college course on marine science and ecology. At most it would probably be just an example during a lecture, maybe a scholarly article or two. I don't see anything wrong with a Distinctive Specialty as a "light" introduction to the topic. While some PADI courses are accepted by universities for credit, they only count as PE credits :wink:

Yeah, people have been talking about it. Some important points:

1.) PADI approved it but didn't initiate it, so it's not a case of PADI initiating a new way to get your money.<snip>

Richard.

As far as I know, only one DS is generally available through PADI for any instructor at all to teach, with the course outline available on the PADI website. So no, this isn't a way for PADI to make money or to push cards.

Nevertheless, recreational diving is a part of the business landscape, and different businesses are wise to find their own "niches" to distinguish them from the rest so that customers will open their door and walk in. Offering a Distinctive Specialty is a way for a particular instructor with specialized knowledge or a group of shops in a region to highlight some special aspect of their dive environment, and yes, to attract some of the money divers spend on dive travel and education.

I applaud Annieols for developing the Lionfish DS. It's important for visiting divers to learn about both the qualities and the challenges of a specific region. I am personally about to apply for the Coral Health DS Instructor rating so that I can help the divers who come to dive with me understand what went on with the corals here with our recent bleaching event and what we expect to happen in the future. This new DS was developed by the University of Queensland, in fact, through their non-profit Coral Watch.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom