Last minute trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Internet here is dreadful, and is widely considered to hold the country's development back. The trouble is, it's a monopoly with what inevitably follows from that. Although there are local issues, the national network is deeply flawed. Some think (I do) that the ISP focuses most of its attention on blocking services that would compete with its telephone services (it is also the main telephone company). For example, I have been trying for the last 48 hours to download a 30 minute video stream from another country, and although there's nothing wrong with the local connections and service nothing has so far downloaded. This is very typical.

As regards Skype, it is not possible to install Skype here without using a VPN, but if it's already installed it sometimes works without using a VPN. Many VPNs, notably the free ones, are also blocked here. If you want to use Skype here, make sure it's already installed and credit has already been applied to the account. Anyone travelling with a computer should use a VPN anyway for reasons of personal security, but if the foregoing is done Skype may be usable without a VPN.

Internet here is dreadful, and is widely considered to hold the country's development back. The trouble is, it's a monopoly with what inevitably follows from that. Although there are local issues, the national network is deeply flawed. Some think (I do) that the ISP focuses most of its attention on blocking services that would compete with its telephone services (it is also the main telephone company). For example, I have been trying for the last 48 hours to download a 30 minute video stream from another country, and although there's nothing wrong with the local connections and service nothing has so far downloaded. This is very typical.

As regards Skype, it is not possible to install Skype here without using a VPN, but if it's already installed it sometimes works without using a VPN. Many VPNs, notably the free ones, are also blocked here. If you want to use Skype here, make sure it's already installed and credit has already been applied to the account. Anyone travelling with a computer should use a VPN anyway for reasons of personal security, but if the foregoing is done Skype may be usable without a VPN.

It seems the internet is consistantly inconsistant.

Well I made it!!! Enjoying a few Belkins right now...must say DAMN good after 3 flights!!!

Peterbj7. looking forward to hooking up with you, please let me know a good time.

Thanks Jan

Any time you like, Jan. Phone me on the number I gave you. Who are you diving with?

Since writing the above post I met up with Jan and repaired his computer. Sadly he was found dead (of a suspected heart attack) a few days later.

Damn, that's tragic.

My condolences to his family and friends.

Hi, I don't know if anyone can help me here, but Jan Peter Sol (bandit318) was my brother. We just had his funeral Thursday, and we have been trying to find some answers to this tragedy. The news over there says his death was ruled as no foul play, but we have heard that his wallet, phone, and possibly some scuba gear are missing. I don't know if anyone here would happen to know which diving company he may have dove with, but would appreciate it if anyone does know, they could pass the information on to me. The death certificate really didn't give us any answers, and due to the advanced decomposition of his body, we were unable to have an autopsy done here. We also needed dental records to identify him which in itself was very difficult to handle. Again, we would really appreciate any help with this. Thanks, Don Sol

Don - my condolences to you and the rest of your family on your tragic loss. I only met Jan twice and that briefly, but he seemed a likeable sort of person. On the specific points I'll PM you. Peter Jones

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom