Last minute trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bandit318

Registered
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey all, decided Tuesday to finally make it to Belize (AC), very very excited!! will make it there this Tues. for 2 weeks, one problem<took out my Suunto Stinger and the battery is dead!!! no one up here in Ont. Canada can fix it on such short notice...am I out of luck bringing it down there in hopes of having it up and running???

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and hoping to meet some SB members when I get down there as I am flying solo...

Thanks!!! :bandit:

I am the only person here able to open them, but after a recent experience with (thankfully) my own computer I'm reluctant to try. I wasn't aware of having done anything wrong but it wouldn't autostart afterwards (it worked, just didn't autostart). It may be a repair shop before me that screwed up, as it hadn't autostarted since it came back from them.

That said, I have the tools and batteries and am perfectly happy to give it a try, or you can with my tools. I don't have any new O-rings, but in practice they rarely need replacing. It APPEARS to be a simple job. You certainly won't find any shop that can do it on such short notice.

I should have said - HERE is San Pedro. Any other part of Belize is too far away. Where will you be staying?

That would be great peterbj7 (I was hoping you could offer some assistance), I'm not exactly sure where I am staying, but with a friend, she says it is around the Banana Beach Resort, Xanadu area??

I will bring it down with me, but I would like for you to do the 'surgery' if you would!

Looking forward to meeting you...how do I get in touch??

Again Thanks!!

If you still have a choice I suggest you stay at Banana Beach (better value, though Xanadu is nice) and arrange your diving with Island Divers. BB will (I think) try to channel you to another operator which is not IMO nearly as good. If it's been decided for you, tell me where/who you go with.

Phone me on arrival on the local cell number 620-1080 and we can make contact. I live off the beach around 1/2 mile south of the airstrip apron.

If you intend making many calls while you're here, I suggest you rent a local phone from Quicksilver (quicksilverbz@yahoo.com, local phone 667-0669 or 625-0669). Cheap and efficient, and if you tell Dianne what local flight you'll be arriving on (whether Tropic or Maya and what time it leaves the international airport) she'll meet you at the airstrip with your phone. Failing that, at your hotel. If you intend calling the US/Canada that's another matter, but to call locally around San Pedro (the dive operator, hotel, restaurants, tour operators, me, etc) it'll save you a fortune and add enormous convenience.

I'm quite prepared to do the computer myself and I'll do my best, but I'll only charge you for the parts used (I won't charge you for labour) and it MUST be at your risk, not mine. If it has an ordinary strap that's fine, but if it has a SS bracelet (as mine does) that will have to be removed first.

As you're by yourself I would have chosen to stay at Pedro's Inn. Much cheaper and off the beach, but a fun place where you'll meet lots of other people. Rather like a hostel. In any of the normal hotels you may find yourself a bit lonely. Although - are you by yourself, or with your friend?

Well, I am kind of by myself, I am visiting an ex girlfriend who has been down there for a couple of months. I am not sure if I am staying with her as her place is a little tight, she is trying to get me an apt. in Paz Villas? I will certainly take any advice you offer especially on dive ops!!

I have been reading on hear that I can probably get some batteries at Radio Shack up here at rather cheap prices ($3-$4), if I can find the part#, or if you know it, I would be happy to grab a few for you for extras? Yes, I understand the risk factor and it is a rubber band.

Well if all goes well I should be on AC at 2:30 on Tuesday!!!

I have rented a phone from Quicksilver in the past and Diane is GREAT! I have no complaints about my cell rental. I have finally broken down and bought a GSM unlocked phone from Amazon for $15. I am going to buy a sim card at BZE and have my own phone. I hope it works out. I like Diane's rental service, but my cost will be less for 2 weeks, if it really works.

I have rented a phone from Quicksilver in the past and Diane is GREAT! I have no complaints about my cell rental. I have finally broken down and bought a GSM unlocked phone from Amazon for $15. I am going to buy a sim card at BZE and have my own phone. I hope it works out. I like Diane's rental service, but my cost will be less for 2 weeks, if it really works.

Let me know how that works out for you. I can rent a cell phone for $5/day in Placencia, which would work out to about $100 total for my trip there in June. If there's a cheaper alternative, I'm all ears. There's a service in San Pedro that suggested I could jail break my iPhone and buy a SIM card from them, but the word "break" leaves me a little leery.

Sorry I can't help you with cell phone info, I had to look up GSM to find out what that was, my kids know about jailbreaking, I thought I needed a lawyer...I think if I can't use the Gilligan conch method then I'll just wing it like the good ole days...on vacation/no phone...there is wifi down there tho I hope???

PUMPED ONE MORE DAY!!!

Sorry I can't help you with cell phone info, I had to look up GSM to find out what that was, my kids know about jailbreaking, I thought I needed a lawyer...I think if I can't use the Gilligan conch method then I'll just wing it like the good ole days...on vacation/no phone...there is wifi down there tho I hope???

PUMPED ONE MORE DAY!!!

WiFi is iffy down there in my experience. It sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. Skype and other VOIP systems usually do not work at all. I heart reports that they are blocked. I pretty much only count on being able to check email and maybe get on the web. I think this is why most of the buinesses down there vare so slow/erratic in answering email. I am sure some places have more reliable internet than others.

I know this doesn't apply to San Pedro, but just to throw this out there I had very good WiFi reception in my cabana at Dianni's Guest House in Placencia last year. There's also a coffe shop in the heart of the village that advertises free WiFi. I never personally tried it but the reception was good enough for the proprieter, a Scotsman by way of Canada then the Bahamas, to provide music via a Canadian jazz radio station.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom