Last-minute Cozumel or Playa Del Carmen trip recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iflyndive

Reaction score
I've read the threads about staying/diving PDC and Cozumel already, but I've got next week(Jan 30-Feb3) off and I'm trying to get some advice for my first dive trip down to Mexico. I'll be travelling alone and I'm trying to put together the best choice for 4 nights/3 days of diving. I'm still a new diver; my other experience being in Hawaii and I do not have my own equipment. I know I want to do Cozumel, but I'd be interested in sampling the Riviera Maya area diving if it's worth it. I'm a marine aquarium fanatic, so I'm primarily interested in corals and other marine animals, but being that close to the cenotes, I don't know if I should pass them up.

I've seen some good deals in PDC as well as Cozumel, so I'm torn about which is best-suited for me. I like the idea of staying on the mainland and not having to deal with the ferry, but I don't want a couple mediocre days in PDC and one good day on Cozumel. I'd rather just do over there if the diving's that much better. On the hotel front, I'm thinking about AI since it's just me and that will add flexibility, but I'll definately want to sample the local fare as well, so it's not a neccesity. So, right now I'm looking at:

On Cozumel:

Deep Blue/Hotel Cozumel
Blue XT Sea
Dive w/ Martin
Blue Angel/Caribe Blu

In PDC:

Tank-Ha
Abyss
Sealife

As I said, the cenotes are interesting, but not at the top of my list and I don't know if they would be worth me staying in PDC and not getting more dive time in on Cozumel. I thought I might have more non-diving options on the mainland though. Since I'm on my own, I'd like to dive as much as possible and other activities are secondary. So, you can see why I'm having a hard time making a choice! I'd like to finalize it tomorrow since places may already be booked.

Thanks for your recommendations!

Nothing wrong with your dive op choices....I know that DWM and BXTS have rental equipment....the others probably do as well. I would say that the Caribe Blu would be a good choice for you since you are traveling alone you would not have to pay the single rate upcharge that a lot of hotels charge...of course it is not AI but the food is better in town and Caribe Blu has a restuarant next door for breakfast and lunch... after a day of diving go to town for dinner.

The only thing you would gain by going AI would be if you like to drink since the food is only mediocre.....If you are going to dive stay in Cozumel you will be glad you did... see the Cozumel Forum for more information.

Tank-Ha has some good choices for you. I dove with them earlier this month and found them to be very good. I stayed at their PDC hotel which was not AI but very convenient. They dive reefs around PDC as well as trips to Coz and cenotes. They dive Coz direct on Mondays and any other day they have enough divers (8 I think). Their airport pick was great. You might check their website because I know they have a shop at Club Maeva if you are looking for something really nice.

Aldora Divers, www.aldora.com, can arrange trips with their DM Mateo to the cenotes as well as offer excellent diving in Cozumel. They rent Dive Rite transpacs and Oceanic regulators. Computers are furnished at no charge. They'll arrange for the transportation of the gear so you don't have to rent new gear diving the Cenotes.

I always stay at the Casa Mexicana. It's not AI, but you do get a large breakfeast buffet. I generally eat lunch at the SI on the beach and being right in town dinner choices are endless and usually moderatly priced.

Hope you have a great trip!

If you want to see more corals you will see much better formations in Cozumel, however the diving near PDC has a bit more fish life - including the Tortugas dive site where it's common to see 10-20 large turtles on a dive. In the past I've stayed on the mainland and ferried over to Cozumel for at least one day of diving, and the rest of the time I dive in PDC or Puerto Morelos. The ferry is pretty easy to use. To be honest the one cenote dive I went on didn't do anything for me - it had just rained and the vis was only about 10 feet or so. It was just like a night dive, only with stalagmites & stalactites and no sea life. I know others rave about 100-300 foot visibility, so YMMV.

Jerry

Cenotes are good if you like to see rock formations and dive in the dark. They are caves. No vegitation or mariene life at all. I would stay in Cozumel. All the choices you mentioned are good. I would stay in town if you want the local flare and you rent gear. Without gear to lug around staying in town you will be able to walk around and check out the great little cafe's. See Christi's list. You can get a room from $45 including tax (El Marques and Hotel Aguilar) to $120 (Casa Mexicana) in town.
Lou

Thanks guys for the replies. I think I'll go ahead and plan on staying on Cozumel and put the mainland activities off until another trip when my girlfriend can come since she's a non-diver. All the places I mentioned in my initial post have availability, so I'm trying to narrow it down some more. I'm a new diver, but I'm comfortable and I'd like some new experiences while not getting ahead of myself. I'm sure any of them will be great based on the reviews on SB. Thanks again!

I would go with your first options. Hotel Cozumel and Deep Blue. We did that combo just a couple of weeks ago. Request to dive with Gabriel if possible. He is incredible and truly loves what he does. Hotel Cozumel has one HUGE advantage over other places---their dock. It is right across the street from the hotel via an underground tunnel. Most docks were damaged/destroyed in the hurricane so you would have to go to Hotel Cozumel or the marina to catch your dive boat anyway. They have nice racks on the balconies to hang your gear overnight. I would think twice about going AI. There are too many great restaurants in town (Guidos, Primas, Pancho's back Porch, Rockin Java's and Papa Hogs etc. Taxi's are readily available for trips out of walking distance or they have jeeps for rent right in the hotel.
Going with a smaller boat like Deep Blue will give you more input into your dive sites. Tell them what you enjoy and they will do their best to accommodate you. My husband loves the deeper sites like Barracuda, Santa Rosa, Punta Sur, Columbia Deep/Bricks. I would spend my time at Columbia Shallows and some of the mid depth sites to increase my bottom time and to see more color. The 3 spotted eagle rays that we say at the beginning of the month were all shallow. We asked for, and got a great mix. Have a great trip!

iflyndive:
I've seen some good deals in PDC as well as Cozumel, so I'm torn about which is best-suited for me. I like the idea of staying on the mainland and not having to deal with the ferry, but I don't want a couple mediocre days in PDC and one good day on Cozumel. I'd rather just do over there if the diving's that much better. On the hotel front, I'm thinking about AI since it's just me and that will add flexibility, but I'll definately want to sample the local fare as well, so it's not a neccesity.
In PDC:

I thought I might have more non-diving options on the mainland though. Since I'm on my own, I'd like to dive as much as possible and other activities are secondary. So, you can see why I'm having a hard time making a choice! I'd like to finalize it tomorrow since places may already be booked.

Thanks for your recommendations!

I see you are fairly young...Coz is very laid back and with the exception of Carlos & Charlies there is not much in the way of night life...but there are fantastic places to eat....just don't be draged into a place because of "someone's brother".

A friend of mine and his wife returned fro PDC last week...stayed at an AI. The transportation costs to get back and fourth to Coz were about $30 each way.

Coz is great,the people are nice..the food is great and you do not need an AI to stay at.

Playa has lots of action and is a younger crowd.

Ron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom