last min trip where to go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bethbsting

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Where should we go on a last min trip for two divers?
Criteria:

1. Out of a Texas airport
2. Before the end of the month
3. Not Cozumel - not really looking for drift diving
4. Would be open to live aboard

Thanks!

How about Roatan or Utila in Honduras? Cheap and short flights that depart from Houston.

You might have a hard time finding a liveaboard that isn't booked.

Flower Gardens?

Belize, Utila, Hondurus, Akumal, florida, catalina island?

Go dive the Great Lakes!!

Puget Sound is cool too. :)

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess I will elaborate a little more:

nice tropical location
4 star place to stay but a NICE dive hotel would be okay
VERY short plane ride (preferably no connection through Miami or Atlanta) from any airport in Texas (preferably a direct flight)
Good visibility and great diving in warm water

Thanks and happy diving,

bethbsting:
Good visibility and great diving in warm water

Now what kind of diving is that??? LOL

DFW direct flights are hard to come by to a tropical destination. Have you looked on Orbitz yet or similar sites or was Scubaboard your first attempt at seeking a destination? 4 Star hotels or better are typically found in larger vacation destinations like Grand Cayman, Riviera Maya, Cancun, Cozumel, Jamaica, Turks and Caicos, etc. Not all of those are great diving spots some are better than others like Cayman, Turks and Caicos, and Cozumel. Cayman and Turks are out because of connecting flights and you do not want to go to Cozumel. Belize could be an option but there is connecting flight to Ambergris Caye where Ramon's is, but then 4 star may be debateable in the rating system. Bahamas would be good and you could stay at Atlantis, but that involves a connecting flight. A liveaboard is a great diving vacation but I am not sure I would call it a 4 star experience, bathrooms and showers have a lot to be desired aboard a boat. Last minute flights anywhere these days are in just one word, expensive. What kind of budget do you have? My trip to Grand Cayman aboard the Aggressor liveaboard with air out of Houston was $5600.00, add on incidentals, parking, tips, a meal here and there, etc. added up to $6500.00. Are you on a budget? How long of a trip 4 days, 5 days, 7 days or more?
I have taken many trips diving and non-diving. For last minute, out of DFW you really can not beat Cozumel. Why are you afraid of drift diving? Driving to Houston is a great option for a direct flight to Roatan, or Grand Cayman and maybe something you should consider. Good luck I hope you find what you are looking for!

Iberostar - Playa Del Carmen they have a dive op on site - romantic, great setting.

Fly in to Cancun, take shuttle to hotel (45 min)

Regards,

Cudabait:
Iberostar - Playa Del Carmen they have a dive op on site - romantic, great setting.

Fly in to Cancun, take shuttle to hotel (45 min)

Regards,

That would seem to fit the bill. Short direct flights, plenty of nice hotels, tropical reef diving, and relatively inexpensive. Also could do some cenote dives as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom