Last Fling trip this weekend!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sushi Boy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
This weekend is the last scheduled trip of the year for the Fling. However, a cold front looks like it is going to wipe out Friday and most of Saturday. However, they are doing a Flash Sale to create a possible one day Stetson trip. See details below copied from the Fling. I think it's a pretty good deal. Smaller boats charge almost that much for 2 dives on Stetson and don't provide meals or tanks. This is also a good deal for those that cannot usually get a whole weekend away.

Let us know if you can go and CHUM can get you hooked up. You can message us here, but a quicker option would be to email chum (at) chumclub.org
They need 7 more divers at this point and will be making the call this afternoon.

F * L * A * S * H
S * A * L * E
The problem: The weather (the cold front) will not let us run this weekend's two-day trip to the Flower Garden Banks.
The Solution: We go a day later for a one-day dive excursion at Stetson Bank.
Boarding: 7:30PM on SATURDAY, 30 October 2021
Return: 7:30PM on Sunday, 31 October 2021
* * * Three dives at Stetson Bank * * *
All meals provided
F * R * E * E
N * I * T * R * O * X
$400

I live too far away. I've long been interested in the Fling, but from what I've been told, cancellations due to weather are common so it's a dicey risk proposition to book airfare and fly in for a trip.

Any thoughts on what % of customers are 'driving distance' locals, vs. dive tourists who flew in for the trip?

I'd say the vast majority are driving distance on any trip. I've been on a trip with some folks from Kansas before but even they came in a car in case they had to turn around.

It is a great trip when it goes. I'd say pick a weekend in July or August next summer, have a back up plan for something else to do in the Houston area if the weather doesn't cooperate, and book a flight. If you get to go, you'll have an awesome time. Otherwise, there's plenty to do nearby to keep you busy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom