lasik

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

D--How did you know it was me and not Eric posting?? lol.

How long ago did you have it done? Do you have any dry eye or glare?

I hate having bad eyes but am nervous to go "under the laser!"

Because You are also my Facebook friend and I saw your posting about glasses on there. See, I am one smart cookie.

I had it done 7 years ago. I have not had any dry eye or glare at all. I was told that at night there might be a "halo" around lights, but I have not noticed that either. The only issue/uncomfortable/pain in the butt was that during the healing process my eyes did tend to itch and I wanted to rub them. I was warned about this and I had drops for it. YOU MUST NOT RUB your eyes. You will have to wear a mask at night (draw sexy eyes on it for Eric) to prevent accidentally rubbing while sleeping.

I was a bit nervous also. Hell, this is my eyes we were dealing with. I declined the valium and just went straight for the surgery. The whole process was less than 10 minutes and that was both eyes. I was comcerned about moving my eyes during the surgery and causing a mistake, but that is not possible with the process. It really is quick and painless.

You can always call me if you want to talk about it some more too.

I was comcerned about moving my eyes during the surgery and causing a mistake, but that is not possible with the process.

Depends on the process.

New forms of LASIK use an "on the fly" approach, and the laser follows the eye movements. Earlier forms of LASIK depended on the patient fixating properly and the laser treatment itself is relatively short (a minute or two) so if the patient looked off center for even a few seconds it could have an unfortunate result.

When I would watch some of these earlier LASIK procedures the surgeon would monitor fixation and stop the treatment (using a foot pedal) until the patient re-fixated. Error prone and problematic at best...

Its possible that some surgeons still use the older LASIK units and it is critical to fixate properly during the procedure.

I declined the valium and just went straight for the surgery.

Valium is offered to patients who are even the least bit nervous because...well think about it...it's more favorable to operate on a relaxed patient who isn't tensing up and looking all over the place.

I guess that I was fortunate to have a newer procedure. My eyeball was fixated with a suction cup and if any movement outside of the specified perameters was detected, then the laser was automatically shut down. A failsafe, if you will.

As for the valium - long story. It makes perfect sense for others though.

Because You are also my Facebook friend and I saw your posting about glasses on there. See, I am one smart cookie.

You can always call me if you want to talk about it some more too.

hehe, you're my internet stalker :)

i had lasEk, not lasIk - the top layer is what is lasered, not a layer under a covering flap. i was out of the water for about 2 months (six weeks each eye, done 2 weeks apart) but absolutely no problems since & i'd recommend it for everyone who is a candidate.

i had the same thing in 2004, and man I never felt pain like that in my life for the next few days! results have been great though, still 20:15 in both eyes 6 years out.

and agreed with the earlier post, best to do it on the surface!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom