Largest manta ever seen?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Huck BB62

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Yeah, I know, hard to believe unless you were there. We were on the outer corner of the reef at Molokini doing the drift dive. As I was finishing the dive up, I headed away from the island at about 40' depth to slowly ascend to the boat. I was first away from the group. Not far out, I saw a manta coming my direction from south to north down about 180'. It was HUGE! I mean larger than anything I've ever seen before. Believe me, this is the kind of thing that can kill a guy. I didn't have enough air, and I was on 33% too. But God help me, I sure wanted to bounce down and get closer. The dive master (with 10,000 dives under her facemask) following me saw me going nuts pointing and did make out the monster. On the boat, I reserved comment until she came on board. I said, "How big do you think do you think that was?!?" She said "About 20 feet!"

That's what I thought. Distances, and water, can distort, but some things are obvious. That manta was so so huge. I sure wish I'd seen it at the beginning of the dive! I'm so grateful to my wonderful dive guide who was sharp enough to see it too. It'd really been a hollow sighting without her confirmation.

Oh my gosh... I'm back out there tomorrow to try to see some more awesomeness!!!!

Whale report? Didn't hear or see any yet, although, some early arrivers are supposedly in the area.

Impressive!! I think the biggest we've seen was probably 10-12' wingspan (at Molokini!) and we thought that was big.... 20' is a monster!

Was it Tiffany or Kim who saw the Manta too?? Both are fantastic at spotting creatures, but Kim is like the "critter whisperer"....she sees stuff nobody else can find.

I'm guessing that it was the oceanic species, Manta birostris. The second manta I ever saw was at the back side of Molokini. It never came in too close so my pictures were pretty awful and I never kept them, but looking back I wonder if that was the oceanic species as well.

It was Kim... and it was a stroke of luck! (isn't it always!?)

The manta had white markings on its wingtips and on the edges of it's mouth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom