Larger Tanks for deep dives (100ft)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry, I misspoke. I wasn't thinking of cavern when I said there were no penetration limits.

You would have to have a SAC rate of .39 to do this, to be honest I don't know too many if any that have this... I'm pretty sure I don't, mine hovers around a .5 usually.

.39 is my cold water SAC rate :)

Sorry, I misspoke. I wasn't thinking of cavern when I said there were no penetration limits.

.39 is my cold water SAC rate :)

Besides you Lynne

Besides you Lynne

I know a bunch, but strap a set of 120 doubles on their back and have them climb a 200 cliff and I would feel better about it... The rest of the time, not so much.

Besides you Lynne

It is not unusual as one might think, in no current lazy dive with single tank we hit 0.4 very often. :idk:

Women get lower rates , I believe my wife has about the same rate and she is a beginner and has not observed the SAC drop yet

It's not a contest.

Yup, nobody gets bonus points for coming back with extra gas. Unfortunately running out of gas is Game Over. That's why I'm so happy about the HP120 I just bought off a guy, for when I feel like yakking the Mahi.

Peace,
Greg

Extra gas with a well trained and disciplined diver does equal more safety, but there are plenty of recreational divers who do not plan their dives well and could use the extra gas to get into situations that could be problematic, either unplanned deco or simply diving too deep to handle a possible emergency.

One cannot say that carrying extra gas will not influence divers' behavior; you can say that about yourself, but not in general. So, I would have to agree that extra gas does not automatically mean extra safety. This is especially true with purely recreational divers, not planning and carefully executing dive plans, who simple want more gas because they go through it too quickly for their own tastes.

I generally use larger steel (single) tanks up to 149 cu-ft. It really is kinda ridiculous that the recreational dive industry has often pushed the 80 cu-ft aluminum cylinder as the tank of choice regardless of whether the diver is a 120 lb, 55 yr old lady or a 22 yr old, 240 lb linebacker. Pick the smallest tank that allows you to dive without having a lot of concern about running out of air. Of course if you have to carry the tank long distances on land, this could affect the decision as well.

...I am also looking to carry a pony on a pony bracket attachment...

Why do you want a pony? And why do you want a pony on a bracket? What is your thinking here?

The answer to your question depends quite a bit on your intentions for/with a pony.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom