Larger people pushed faster in current?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That bigger people have an advantage moving themselves through a draggy medium (water, air, whatever). This is somewhat to the contrary of what the OP believes they have observed and is to the contrary of SeaRat's statement that size doesn't make a difference under water (which I don't think he really meant exactly like that).
Ok, it is an interesting point, and perhaps even related to the topic of the thread: do passive neutrally-buoyant drifting objects move at the same speed? Yes, is the answer, but those objects are rarely passive....and I guess your point is that a little movement from a big person has more effect than a little movement from a small person.

Ok, it is an interesting point, and perhaps even related to the topic of the thread: do passive neutrally-buoyant drifting objects move at the same speed? Yes, is the answer, but those objects are rarely passive....and I guess your point is that a little movement from a big person has more effect than a little movement from a small person.

Exactly right.

That bigger people have an advantage moving themselves through a draggy medium (water, air, whatever). This is somewhat to the contrary of what the OP believes they have observed and is to the contrary of SeaRat's statement that size doesn't make a difference under water (which I don't think he really meant exactly like that).
The OpEd talked about the water acting on someone without movement. My comment was meant to reflect that objects, no matter their size, will move with the water at the same rate.

To give a better idea of this, please look at this video I made of one of my dives last summer. I was diving in the Clackamas River, and after I swam over the log and under the rapids, I let the current take me downstream. You can see me traveling at the same rate as the small bubbles in the water from the rapids above.

I think what is happening on the OpEd's drift dives has to do with entering the water. A smaller person will be initially pushed easier than a larger person due to the mass of the larger person, and the concept of inertia. Thus, entering a current from an anchored boat, the smaller person will move faster initially in the water than a larger person, until they both reach the same velocity as the water current itself. Then finning, drag, etc. take effect.

SeaRat

The OpEd talked about the water acting on someone without movement. My comment was meant to reflect that objects, no matter their size, will move with the water at the same rate.

Yeah, I knew that's what you meant...just was wanting to add clarity. :) Pretty sure we're on the same page...

Back
Top Bottom