Larger people pushed faster in current?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So a dead whale will accelerate to current speed faster than a dead minnow?

I won't quote them, it's a bit offensive. :). My first post in this thread is the physicist answer (er, because I too am a physicist).

To specifically answer your question: Assuming equal streamlining, the minnow will accelerate to current speed faster. Yes, the force of the current is higher on the whale, but the mass of the whale is also larger...in fact more larger than the force is larger...so the whale accelerates less. This is because mass is proportional to volume, drag is only proportional to cross section. Volume goes up faster than cross section.

Drag is caused by friction... Once you are up to speed there is no more drag. Friction remains.

Ignore the initial condition of getting up to speed. It is a red herring.

I won't quote them, it's a bit offensive. :). My first post in this thread is the physicist answer (er, because I too am a physicist).

To specifically answer your question: Assuming equal streamlining, the minnow will accelerate to current speed faster. Yes, the force of the current is higher on the whale, but the mass of the whale is also larger...in fact more larger than the force is larger...so the whale accelerates less. This is because mass is proportional to volume, drag is only proportional to cross section. Volume goes up faster than cross section.
What he said.

The accelerating force on the whale is larger, but the rate of change of velocity is F/m. Time-integrate that and you get velocity; it will have to integrate longer to get up to the current speed.

Drag is caused by friction... Once you are up to speed there is no more drag. Friction remains.
How does that work? What causes the friction if there is no more relative velocity?

Thank you. I agree completely.

How does that work? What causes the friction if there is no more relative velocity?
Once you are up to speed there is no more friction.

It's pretty technical for me. Would a dead in the water ocean liner (Princess Cruise boat?) and a tennis ball eventually move at the same speed if dropped in the Hudson River?

As soon as you are above the surface the wind and air resistance have an effect. At that point who knows!

Back
Top Bottom