Large High Pressure Vessel or Cascade

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

time2sail

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ok, maybe I'm going about this the wrong way?

I've tried an online search for high pressure tanks and vessels, but I'm not coming up with much in the way of useable information.

I'm looking for a large tank that I could fill around (10) 80CF dive tanks with. I'd like to take the big tank to our LDS once a month and have them fill it. Then fill the 80's from the back of our truck. This is 100% a convenience thing, I'd just like to make less trips to our LDS.

Would love to know what to search for, manufacturer, keywords, etc..

Thanks!

Ok, maybe I'm going about this the wrong way?

I've tried an online search for high pressure tanks and vessels, but I'm not coming up with much in the way of useable information.

I'm looking for a large tank that I could fill around (10) 80CF dive tanks with. I'd like to take the big tank to our LDS once a month and have them fill it. Then fill the 80's from the back of our truck. This is 100% a convenience thing, I'd just like to make less trips to our LDS.

Would love to know what to search for, manufacturer, keywords, etc..

Thanks!
Problem with one large tank is that the pressure drops off and you can't get full fills.

I'm looking for a large tank that I could fill around (10) 80CF dive tanks with.
80cf x 10 = 800cf. A lot of volume.

Will the tanks be, say, half full when you top them off? Then you need 400cf at high pressure.

Can't do the workings in cubits and stones...

Ali80 is 11 litres wet at 200 bar (yes, 208, but 200's easier maffs). So contain about 2200 litres when full. Assume half full, so you'll need 1100 x 10 = 11,000 litres at high pressure.

Some of the large 50 litre banking cylinders might work for this. You'd need more than one! However, they're massive 2m/6ft tall, really heavy (80kg+/176 lbs+) and a pig to move around.

As @grf88 said, probably a lot more convenient to get more ali80s.

Maybe even look into a small compressor?

Or a rebreather :cool:

Then you need 400cf at high pressure.
Can't do the workings in cubits and stones...
Four Faber/Worthington LP121's slightly stuffed might be easy to transport>drop off>shop fill>transfill whip>cascade>rinse>lather>repeat ??

In the end all,,,,I agree with @grf88 ,,,it would just be easier to buy more AL80's and rotate them at the fill station.

Like most have said the problem will be that your large tank will most likely be between 4k and 6k psi. This will drop after each fill of you scuba tanks dramatically. This is why most people use a cascade system so they can use tanks in a sequential order to keep the final psi high. The other problem you will run into is when filling your big tank it will get pretty hot and you will lose probably 15% during cooling.

I have a trailer that would suit your needs. You could fill about 60 AL80s with it before going in to refill. I would sell it if you are interested.
It has 9 bank bottles for breathing gas and another 7 bank bottles driving the haskell booster.
1656017606270.png

I sold this one that mounted in a pickup truck bed last year. It is in Georgia somewhere now. I don't know if he is still using it, it could be for sale. It also would fill about 40 scuba tanks before filling.
1656017783728.png

Not my cup of tea... something about a large pressure vessel letting go in Tobermory some years back.....

@Stoo .....

There is a reason we use bank bottles...

Back
Top Bottom