Large Day Diving Boats from Concrete Piers in the South?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I heard it was the same type of diving in Chumphon I am escaping from in KT, i,e. small long tail boat taxis to larger dive boats, at least that is how it was described to me over the phone today.

I heard it was the same type of diving in Chumphon I am escaping from in KT, i,e. small long tail boat taxis to larger dive boats, at least that is how it was described to me over the phone today.

Not sure, they have everything there....big boat, small boat, pier. Chumphon Cabana is complete disorganized (last time I was there, they might have improved).
Than there is a guy called Werner who organize trips.
And than there is a french guy.

But I don't know who is doing what.....

Werner is a nice guy. He told me that they do not board his boat from a pier and instead, board with long tail shuttle boats.

Since I am not interested in that type of logistic, I am not diving in Chumphon.

every dive i have done on KT was from boarding at a pier, usually climbing over a boat or 2 and carrying my own gear. Just depends on who you dive with.

Yea.... I guess I just got the triple witching hour bad luck and bad information and a bad full moon party factory dive center when I was on KT.

Such is life, it was not meant to be for me there. I was going to head to Phuket but I've decided to delay until November and go back to wreck diving on my favorite comfortable fresh-cooked-thai-food nitrox-on-board comfy-seats-and-tables super-duper dive boat in Pattaya.

I've had my fill of throwing gear kits from boat-to-boat, watching my kit smashed and broken, and dive-factory-diving on this road trip.

To each his own, as they say ;D

I too can recommend sea bees for a slightly more expensive but high quality day boat service. German company – fresh cooked Bacon & eggs with selection of cold meats and fresh German bread for breakfast every day – lunch varies but has a good selection freshly cooked on the boat. Donuts aren’t every day and not so common off-season. Sea Bees have the best boats in Phuket (in my opinion)

For customers wanting something a little more affordable we use Kamala Diving’s boat which is Thai run but maintains a high standard with good quality Thai food onboard.

Have Fun
Kevin
@kiwidiver.com

Hi Apecks and All,

Yes, I'm off to Phuket later this year when the Similans re-open for the season.

Thanks for all the good advise and recommendations!

Hi funrecdiver!

If the plan is to dive the Similan Islands, then you should head down to Khao Lak instead of Phuket. Unless you want to be driven from Phuket to Tab Lamu (15min from Khao Lak) and back every day. Alternatively, book yourself on a comfy liveaboard and skip the 60+km out and back from Tab Lamu to the Similans every day. Those are leaving from either Phuket or Tab Lamu, depending on the boat.

Thanks Bollox,

Since has been many years since I did any diving in that area, I will drive down in my car and dive all over Phuket and the Similans when I come down.

Personally, I am not a big liveaboard fan, as I prefer a huge giant comfy soft bed, Internet for my big iMac (need to work sometimes, etc), and prefer to hang out on land at night.

Those hard liveaboard bunk beds don't fit into my dive plan, LOL. I have lived in hotels for over three years traveling, diving, golfing, eating and having fun. Just got back from Vietnam. Next, maybe Bali or the Philippines?

I do recall a massive and beautiful vertical seemingly botttomless wall of fish diving down south 20 years ago. I think it was off Phuket somewhere, but I can't recall!

I want to go there again, but I lost my log book from the "good ole days" and only started logging again this year. My dive log count would be much higher if I counted those dives, but I don't.... So I just started my logbook over in April 2010.

.... I'm babbling off topic, sorry.

Back
Top Bottom