Large Day Diving Boats from Concrete Piers in the South?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

funrecdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Frankly, I am a big fan of diving from large, comfortable day diving boats that are boarded from solid concrete piers. In other words, the mini bus or songtaeow should take us and our dive kits from the dive center (or hotel) to the pier where we comfortably board the ship with our gear handled nicely. The dive boat should be a day diving boat, not a liveaboard and should cook nice fresh lunches on the boat between dives. A western style toilet with a holding tank would be a plus as would a clean on board compressor where we can blend nitrox and fill air tanks on demand would be a plus as well.

Where is this type of diving in the south?

During a recent week on Koh Tao I was told (and experienced first hand) the larger dive boats boarded by speedboat and long tail boat taxies. The (illegal) Burmese workers stacked and tossed the dive gear like it was garbage and broke my gear bag twice and actual diving gear in my bag once. Getting on and off the dive boat to the small taxi boats in rough seas added to the lack of my appreciation for this type of diving.

Now I am in a nice resort in Chumphon and deciding where we should go next to dive. We could go back to Pattaya to the comfy day boats where nice Thai workers handle our gear kits like they are actually something special on the pier, or we can go to anywhere in Thailand, further south by car.

Where in the South (Phuket, Krabi, etc) can we find nice comfy day diving boats boarded from nice concrete piers and not speedboat or long tail taxies?

Thank you!

Sounds like you Phuket would be the most suitable for you, since Khao Lak is not up and running yet. Mind you that not every dive shop in Koh Tao operates like you describe it and while most of the boats cannot compare with the better ones in Phuket, decent boats that leave from a pier in Koh Tao do exist.

Thanks.

Yes, I had the bad luck to not see any dive boats at nice piers in Koh Tao and the big dive boats I dived were not terrible, just not my idea of a nice dive boat as the service was also bad, as was the attitude of the Burmese boat boys, etc.

When I asked around, I was told that dive boats on Koh Tao all use the same method to ferry people back and forth to the dive boat. Looking around, I also did not see any dive boats ever moored at the main (very small pier).

Sounds like Phuket might be the next destination from Chumphon, based on your recommendation.

Phuket day trips depart from Chalong jetty...

photo: http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/7297/2624/1600/chalongjetty.jpg

pick ups from hotels are by minibus or pick up trucks with seats in the back. Best to stay around Kata or Karon area, not far from Chalong (10 - 15 min drive).

Boats for day trips are generally large, taking 25 - 40 divers, though its low season now, so numbers are up and down. Day trips include meals, drinking water, tea, coffee, normally soft drinks too. If I was a diver looking for several days diving on a decent day trip boat to different locations I'd look at Dive Asia, Sea Fun or Kamala Dive Center boats which all have varied schedules. Hotel pick ups are around 8:30am, you get back any time from 3:30pm on a quicker 2 tank trip, up to 7pm on longhaul trips like the 3 dive Phi Phi day on Dive Asia.. they also provide dinner on the boat on that trip.

Thanks Batfish!

I assume this is an OK time to dive Phuket sites, or should I wait a few months?

Well, it's low season... if weather is good, which it often is, diving local sites in low season is just as good as high season, if not better - less divers and there always seem to be more leopard sharks in low season.. If weather turns grotty, this can make for bouncy seas and reduced vis.

Vis at Racha Noi this week 30m. Racha Yai 20m. Sites to the east (King Cruiser Wreck, Shark Point, Phi Phi) vis can be up to 20m, can be below 10m. Depends on weather, currents and tides. I can recall a 3 day liveaboard to Phi Phi many years ago with bad weather every day and max vis on the trip was 5m! Still had some good dives though!

Weather all last week was great, in fact it has been a very dry August over all, which I have a feeling means it's going to be a wet September!

Try SeaBees in Phuket.

I've heard from an extremely reliable source that they have a very nice freshly cooked lunch on their day boat and serve outrageous and freshly cooked donuts as well.

Thanks for the good ideas Bowmouth. I'll either drive down to Phuket or back up to Pattaya. I've not been diving in Phuket in more than 10 years.

Also, thanks for the photos.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom