Large Capacity Tanks and Doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Forgot to mention that most shops will also charge you double to fill doubles, even if they are putting in the same volume of gas that would fill a large single tank.

Actually, I have NEVER been charged double (or triple or quad) with any of my rigs that use tanks smaller than 72CF each. Only on my rigs that have one tank independent, like the quad 20's which is really triple 20's with two regulator fittings and an independent single, have I been occasionally charged for two fills. Just like if it was a Single and a Pony.

Hmmm I was gonna say thats the reason I DON'T dive doubles cause i don't want to drag them up the ladder. Instead i'll just say that i prefer my single 120's. That way I can still be macho. Right?

Heh, yes of course!

But seriously, it's not too bad at the end of a dive when the tanks are lighter. I usually lug my single up the ladder as well, just to make it easier on the boat crew. I know they're getting paid for it, but having good relations with the boat crew never hurts!

Hmmm I was gonna say thats the reason I DON'T dive doubles cause i don't want to drag them up the ladder. Instead i'll just say that i prefer my single 120's. That way I can still be macho. Right?

Umm, no. To get the macho points you have to climb the ladder while wearing double LP120's and a slung AL40.

I prefer doubled large capacity tanks.

Umm, no. To get the macho points you have to climb the ladder while wearing double LP120's and a slung AL40.

I prefer doubled large capacity tanks.

I've done that with double lp108's, a slung 40, while wearing my fins. Not my preferred way to exit the water, but as long as it's calm, it's not bad.

Were they Fabers or PST?

I believe it was 3-4' seas when I did it, and I was wearing fins also. Fortunately the boat had one of those christmas tree ladders and a railing so it wasn't to terribly difficult. It helped that my seat was right next to the ladder. Of course, this was back when first got the tanks so they felt much heavier than they do now. Now I don't really mind standing for several minutes with the tanks on my back. The thing that really kills me with those tanks is the stairs at little river and the walk (75-100 yrds) from the parking area (if you can even call it that) at blue sink in the ONF (aka bucket-O-suck); everything else is easy.

These were my old Fabers, I no longer have them, I sold them off to replace them with HP 100's or 130's and still haven't gotten around to buying the new tanks. Our dive boat has the Xmas tree ladder as well, so it really isn't too bad as long as the seas are relatively calm. Sure gets some looks from the newly minted OW divers tho.

I like diving with the big tanks off of the boat when everyone else is using a single 80 because that means on a three tank trip I don't have to switch over to a new set of tanks; really makes the whole day a lot more relaxing.

Faber 108's are sweet tanks, why did you sell them?

Up here in the Great Lakes, everything I do is in a drysuit with thick undies. The Faber 108's actually go positive when empty, and I was finding I needed a lot of weight to properly weight myself. The Worthingtons are a little more negative than the Fabers, plus have a better finish in my opinion, so I sold them with the intent of buying Worthingtons, and I think as soon as I sell the 2 extra al80's I have I'll go buy either X7-100's or X8-130's.

Ah, I see. I probably would have gone with one of Fred T's heavy plates; but I don't dive in cold water so my opinion is pretty baseless.

Back
Top Bottom