large air bubble on a deep dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I read the OP and have been thinking about it all day. I can't figure out how geology and physics could result in an air pocket in a natural cave at 600 feet of water. I hesitated to post because my question is a bit off topic, but I can't get it out of my head.....what, if anything, am I missing here?

It all works. See “Stranger From the Depths,” by Gerry Turner, 1967 I think, about some scuba diving kids who find underwater caverns, discover a lizard man in suspended animation, and get involved in more interesting things from there.

I didn't want you guys to think I just disappeared... Lots of good input and pointers to where to go to learn more. I love the sea and learning so much about it so thank you all!

I didn't want you guys to think I just disappeared... Lots of good input and pointers to where to go to learn more. I love the sea and learning so much about it so thank you all!
And we all love talking about it!

For your interest, here's an extreme dive in the Pearce Resurgence cave in New Zealand down to 245m/808.5ft. The two divers really are at the top of their game and are world class divers. Just getting to the site's amazing: they need to use helicopters to get them and their kit across the 9 rivers and almost jungle conditions!

Their kit is very special, they use two back-mounted rebreathers in case one breaks (we call it a "bail-out" rebreather) and also they use a special "habitat" (think upturned box filled with air) which enables them to get out of the freezing water during the 16 hours of decompression -- they have to breathe from regulators as the gas will be foul.

It all works. See “Stranger From the Depths,” by Gerry Turner, 1967 I think, about some scuba diving kids who find underwater caverns, discover a lizard man in suspended animation, and get involved in more interesting things from there.
That was one of my favorite books growing up! Helped plant the seed for diving later on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom