laptop battery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

annie

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

I use my laptop to store and print out my digital photos . . .unfortunately it's a few years old now and the battery is worn down. To replace it is very expensive and I'm not buying a new laptop yet, so I was looking at having it refurbished or something. I've emailed a couple of places on the web in the UK but was wondering does anyone have any DIY suggestions.

Personally I would not recommend trying to find a DIY solution for your laptop. The circuit boards and processors can be very sensitive to changes in current...so you may do more harm than good.

You should see if Ebay has a cheap or 2nd hand battery for your laptop...they often do. If not, would suggest justt always taking your power adapter with you.

check e-bay....or any second hand computer store in your area...maybe even a pawn shop or two...

I work in IT and I see a lot of laptop batteries deteriorate to the point where the battery can no longer provide enough juice to turn the laptop on.
I don't think I would buy a battery 2nd hand either as chances are, it is either in the same condition as yours as will get to that point soon.
Batteries are batteries are batteries, chances are there will be a 3rd party manufacturer that can provide you with what you need - and I bet thats where your laptop manufacturer gets them from too!
Here at work we use www.insight.com to order parts. I find our rep is really really helpful, don't know who you will get but it may be worth a try...

Annie,

Depending on the laptop computer, you may be able to purchase a battery extension. At work I see many people in meetings with these battery extensions that change batt life from 3 hours to 11 hours! Also, be sure to keep these issues in mind when purchasing your next computer.

Lorie

P.S. - you may also want to call your laptop manufacturer helpdesk and be sure they didn't recall the battery you are using... there have been some problems in the past with battery life and they have replaced them or given discount on a newer one.

Hi Lorie

My battery's just buggered . . .I don't know if an extension would work on it. I've spoken to the manufacturer and replacement batteries are available but are very expensive. There are some places which actually refurbish batteries and I'm looking into this.

If I was going to give one piece of advice to anyone buying a laptop it would be to get a spare battery :(

I have a bit of experience in this area, You don't have to buy from your manufacturer to get a new battery. They are only so may battery manufacters, the cells inside the battery will deteriorate, check ebay, or get the model number of the battery you wish to purchase and search the web for cheap prices. Good Luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom