Lap-Band and diving (long post)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

colieolie

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have just recently completed my cert. classes and confined water dives (just need to do my OW), so I'm fairly new to diving, and I have a Lap-Band. I was wondering if any of you on the board have a Lap-Band?

The Lap-Band is a somewhat temperamental weight-loss instrument, and personally I've experienced several problems with it (not diving related). I will elaborate on the issues that I've had as requested. I'm interested to know if anyone has had any issues while diving with their lap-band.

The doctor who did my surgery (who also has a lap-band) is a diver, pre-band and post-band. He told me he has had some strange sensations as he decends, but other then that he's had no problem. Has anyone experienced anything different?

Recently I went on a fishing trip off the coast of Jacksonville, FL, and the water was really choppy (the waters were so rough the trip should have been called off, actually). I was sea-sick within an hour of being out in the water. I don't always get sea sick (I was on a boat every weekend as a kid, and only got sea-sick one time when I was on a sail boat), but then again I haven't been on many boats as an adult. I was completely miserable all day (it was a 9 hour trip), and tried to lay down and sleep after popping 4 Dramamine throughout the day. My biggest problem (due to my lap-band) was I couldn't throw up. I know that I would have felt 10 times better if I could have thrown up.

My fear is that I will feel ill on the way to a dive site and not be able to throw up, then carry on with the dive. I don't really like taking Dramamine as it makes me very tired, and if I'm feeling really bad, it doesn't do anything to make me feel better.

So, if anyone has any advice (even if you don't have a lap-band) or any incidents with a lap-band, I would love to hear it! Sorry for my long-winded post and for jumping around. My main concern isn't just the sea-sickness, it's just one of them. Feel free to PM me if you don't want the whole world to know about your WLS!! Thanks in advance guys!

Try the prescription Scopolomine patch for seasickness.

Do NOT "carry on with the dive" if you don't feel well!

A lot of people will tell you, "You'll feel better once you're down" . . . but what if you don't? That is very risky when you are a new diver.

(not medical . . . just an easily seasick diver . . . )

In case any other lap band people read this.... I have one and I have had zero issues. Always been able to eat normally after a dive and have had no weird sensations during a dive. I've only been to 70ft for reference. Also the OP said you couldn't throw up which isn't true. It's harder on you but it's well possible.

Back
Top Bottom