Lankayan...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

opalobsidian

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My husband and I have not dived since July 2008- we are making a trip to Sabah in June and I thought it would be good to spend a few days re-acquainting ourselves with life underwater before heading to the Sipadan area. I think Lankayan looks gentle and inviting, but he seems to think the visibility will be bad and there will only be little micro critters to peer at. He sort of has his heart set on Layang-Layang...

He agreed that we would let the ScubaBoarders decide which we should choose....what do you all think is best for breaking back into diving, overall ambiance, and bang for the buck?

Thanks so much!
Shivaya

I'll be interested in the replies from people who have actually been there! I headed to Sipadan on a famil. tour last year and was really disappointed when the Lankayan leg of the journey was cancelled. We did stay at Mabul and Kapalai (which is gorgeous) and dived Sipadan four days straight. I was curious about Lankayan and asked one of the divemasters who had worked there. He described the diving at Lankayan as very similar to that around Mabul and Kapalai....which would be fine for a few days, but not for a whole trip by my reckoning. We did have limited vis at Mabul and Kapalai and green water that made photography a challenge - but excellent fish and macro life (fish life at Kapalai is very good indeed). Lankayan appears to be similar - it would be a gentle introduction, but then so would Mabul or Kapalai, and they're much closer to Sipadan (which is fantastic diving). I looked into the logistics of splitting a trip 50:50 Lankayan/Sipadan area but it was all too hard. Hope this helps a little.

Hi Shivaya,

I would vote for Lankayan for getting back into your diving groove. You can do a refresher on arrival and there is plenty to see - the highlights being mimic octopus and yellow jaw fish :D

Have a look at our Lankayan trip report, you can also view the video too.

Have a great trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom