Lankayan Island, Borneo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ushen

Reaction score
Hello,
Does anyone know where I can get more detailed information about diving in Lankayan Island? Is it better than diving in Sipadan?

Hey,
I am on my way to Sipadan in May and don't know if the diving is better, although I think it might be. I did Lankayan last May with a group and had a blast. The whole set up is laid back and fun. Didn't see a whale shark but had fun looking for one. The crew at the resort is really fun and love to party with you after the dives. Makes diving hung-over a whole new specialty. Feel free to pm if you want details.
Susie

Hi Ushen,
I was the group leader on that trip to Lankayan with Susie. I have lots of info too so feel free to PM me for it. The diving was more comparable to Mabul than Sipadan. :D

When is the best time to dive in Lankayan?? Wouldn't want rainy days and poor vis...

Hi Ushen!

Well! Lankayan is a fantastic destination! Lankayan has it's own beauty, but less popular compare to Sipadan! Therefore, it is less crowded!

The good time to go will be from March - July! Lankayan is quite frequently visited by the gentle giant whale shark (March-May), so that'll make it more exciting! :wink:

You can also check out their website: www.lankayan-island.com

Happy Diving & Keep Those Bubbles Flowing!

Ocean Xplorer

And just how many whalesharks has been seen since 2000/2001 at Lankayan, Ocean Xplorer? I can't believe they are trying to plug the whalesharks as an attraction still.
I've been to Lankayan twice, and am very unlikely to visit the place again. The macro life is very decent and is comparable to Mabul, except Mabul is more prodigious in the marque critters like frogfish and bluering octopus(definitely more in Kapalai). Neither are as good as Lembeh, Alor or Maumere for critters. The good difference in Sabah diving is that the critters on a brighter sand background vs the volcanic soil background of Indonesia. It makes a difference for some photographers.
The resort itself is pretty but nothing like Sipadan Water Village in accomodation. The decor is a bit tacky and the bungalows were just above basic but quite spacious. Resort food was buffet style, decent and very edible. Boat staff and resort staff were helpful and good.

scubashooter:
And just how many whalesharks has been seen since 2000/2001 at Lankayan, Ocean Xplorer? I can't believe they are trying to plug the whalesharks as an attraction still.
I've been to Lankayan twice, and am very unlikely to visit the place again. The macro life is very decent and is comparable to Mabul, except Mabul is more prodigious in the marque critters like frogfish and bluering octopus(definitely more in Kapalai). Neither are as good as Lembeh, Alor or Maumere for critters. The good difference in Sabah diving is that the critters on a brighter sand background vs the volcanic soil background of Indonesia. It makes a difference for some photographers.
The resort itself is pretty but nothing like Sipadan Water Village in accomodation. The decor is a bit tacky and the bungalows were just above basic but quite spacious. Resort food was buffet style, decent and very edible. Boat staff and resort staff were helpful and good.

Hi Scubashooter!

We're not too sure, how many whalesharks have visited Lankayan since 2000/2001, but in 2002, some divers claimed that they saw it. I guess it all depends on timing & luck!

Why wouldn't you visit the place again? Is it because you did not get to see the whaleshark? I guess every destinations have their own good and bad sides of the story. I'm sure there are something that you liked about Lankayan that made you go back the second time. :wink:

Mabul & Kapalai is great, but I'm sure if you stroll around other thread, you'll see some dissatisfaction. I agreed that Lembeh, Alor or Maumere are great, but I'm sure there are bound to be some who disagreed. Like what you wrote, "The good difference in Sabah diving is that the critters on a brighter sand background vs the volcanic soil background of Indonesia. It makes a difference for some photographers."

The bottom line of each dive is that you get to dive & enjoy the beauty of the underwater world. Which not everyone get to do in their life time! You sounded quite happy with the Lankayan resort when you wrote, "The decor is a bit tacky and the bungalows were just above basic but quite spacious. Resort food was buffet style, decent and very edible. Boat staff and resort staff were helpful and good."

Well! We would advise that divers experience each dive destination for themself rather than based on one's experience! Each individual will have their side of the story to tell when it comes to certain location. :wink:

Just like what your signature says, "The reefs are going to be gone in our lifetime, let's dive it all before they go... maybe we might save a few along the way."

Enjoy each dive trip you go on because it might not be the same anymore the next time you visit!

Happy Diving & Keep Those Bubbles Flowing!

Ocean Xplorer.

Xplorer,
I would never go to a place just for specific species (unless it's a known area). If I wanted whalesharks I'd go to Galapagos, Philippines, Utila, the east coast of Africa and other places where consistent and numerous sightings empirically substantiated.
I found that Lankayan's marketing people over estimated the area's viability for whaleshark sightings. Just because something was seen in the area once in a long while (the whaleshark in Mar 2001 stayed around for 2.5 weeks when I was there) doesn't mean it's a good area to get consistent sightings. A little deceptive advertising, but then all advertising is deceptive in nature. They changed the ads a bit after complaints were made. But the whaleshark thing is still a headline.
I did not grade Lankayan based on whalesharks, otherwise I'd give it a zero! Instead I compared the diving to layang layang, mabul/kapalai and other nearby areas. The diving is typical of Sabah macro if not as rich as Mabul/Kapalai. The pelagics are definitely not as plentiful as Sipadan or Layang2. The resort is typical fair and with their promotions I suppose it's ok value for money. I found the diving to be decent but lacks the variety of say the combination of Mabul/Sipadan/Kapalai or the Sangalaki area (if we were to stay on the same island).
I will say that anyone who says that the prolific critters of Lembeh, Alor and Maumere are not good either don't like muck diving/critters or know of a place that's better (which are probably in Ambon unfortunately). As for comparison to Sabah muck diving, the white sand background doesn't mean much when you do not have the diversity of species as subjects. Obviously, biodiversity and accomodations aren't the only things to consider. Many believe security (until the Sipadan kidnapping), costs, ease of travel are also considerations.

Hello evryone,
I wanted to add some more info on Lankayan for Ushen I forgot with the PM stuff. One thing about going in May is that Japan has their big "Golden Week" holiday and fill up resorts fast. Lankayan doesn't hold many people to begin with and I wanted to add more divers on my group trip but the resort sold out fast!

I do want to totally agree with scubashooter on the whalesharks. I was heavily promoted about seeing whalesharks and planned my trip on the "best" time you might run into one. We all really enjoyed the trip and have no regrets but I definitley would have gone at a different time knowing what I know now. I also agree that as great as the trip was there are soooo many other places to move onto (like my group trip to SMART dive resort on Mabul/Sipadan.

I will also say that we were lucky to have "Mel" as our dive guide since he helped create the resort and most of the dive sites. Unfortunatley we were his last group as he is now with Scuba Zoo productions. I feel Lankayan lost a huge asset there!

Back
Top Bottom