Language question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FIST

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
How widely spoken is English or Spanish on the island? Since it is a major tourist destination Im guessing it is fairly common but thought I would ask. Also anyone know any sites that have some good phrases to learn in the local creole?

How widely spoken is English or Spanish on the island? Since it is a major tourist destination Im guessing it is fairly common but thought I would ask. Also anyone know any sites that have some good phrases to learn in the local creole?

I've only been once, but I recall almost everyone speaks english. Even the folks at the Kentucky Fried Chicken spoke English to me.

You will have no problem, English is widely spoken as is Spanish.

Papiamentu phrases that you will hear often

Masha Danki = Thank you very much it is often responded to with "Da Nada"- = roughly your welcome
Bon Dia = good morning
Bob Bini = welcome

You will likely be called "Dushi" at some point, it is a term of endearment, like sweetheart/honey or dear

Of you are doing anything remotely touristy like diving or going to a restaurant, then English is the language of choice.

Dutch is used for the Dutch tourists.

The folks on Bonaire always amaze me. We go in a restaurant and the waitress takes our order in very good english. turns to the next table and takes the order in spanish, then the next in dutch.

And I struggle along mightily with southern-english...

I have yet to find any place in the Caribbean where people who are likely to interact with tourists cannot communicate in English or Spanish.

As is true for visitors anywhere, learning a few phrases in the local language, such as "good day" and "thank you" can start a conversation off on the right foot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom