Land Rover...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HamsterHuey:
Do you need a car that big?

Have you ever seen an 88?

They are literally 88" long... about the same size as the old miltary Jeeps they are based on...

:)

originally posted by remdiver2002
They are literally 88" long

Not quite...... they are 88" between axle centres (wheelbase), they are 145 inches bumper to bumper I think

Jon T

turnerjd:
Not quite...... they are 88" between axle centres, they are 145 inches bumper to bumper I think

Jon T

88" Wheelbase not total length...

Jeff

Jeff...the brits have never out out a good reliable powerplant. This means to Americans that you will have to tinker with it constantly to keep it performing. I have numerous Rover buds and they all complain about the same thing...reliability. If you want no maintenece and better power...Jeep.

Also my DIVEMED O has a Defender from before the ban...sits in front of his house. Doesn't run. It has less than 40K on ot. POS he says.

DFC5343:
Jeff...the brits have never out out a good reliable powerplant. This means to Americans that you will have to tinker with it constantly to keep it performing. I have numerous Rover buds and they all complain about the same thing...reliability. If you want no maintenece and better power...Jeep.

Also my DIVEMED O has a Defender from before the ban...sits in front of his house. Doesn't run. It has less than 40K on ot. POS he says.

I appreciate the heads up actually!

I started off with Jeeps, three real ones 75 CJ-5, 81 CJ-7, and a 81 Scrambler (CJ-8)

I had a 89 Wrangler but the drivetrain did not hold up as well and a grand cherokee but I did not like that one to much either...

All these were pre-married life... I have not had a toy for a while now...

I want to get one as a third vehicle, something I can tinker with... I like the utilty and simple design of the old ones...

Even broken down that Defender is probally worth over $20,000 because of the DOT regs...

If he gets to frustrated with it, might as well keep it Deep Sea right? (green Deep Sea but still Deep Sea!!)

Jeff

I have been telling him. The DOT and Rover are putting airbags in and some other stuff to make the Defender G2G for 2005. Then all the old ones will be worth junk. I will let you know if he does.

HamsterHuey:
Do you need a car that big?

In comparison a Land Rover Discovery is shorter than a Toyota Camry by 4-5". Does that make the Disco big? And I can also fit in a compact parking space without having the tail end stick out and still have room to open the doors to get out. In terms of width the current Disco is 74.4" wide, the Camry is 70.7" wide, and the Ford F-150 is 78.7" wide.

So if you think the Disco is large. Then Surburbans, Excursions, and crew cab pickups must be extra extra large.

DFC5343:

You must be talking about older units. Modern LR's fortunealtly sport Ford and BMW powerplant's au aquisition and technology swaps. My '98 Disco has a Ford derivitive and seems to be very reliable but underpowered. The box frame chasis is tough, but everything else is spartan vs a Jeep. The only maintainence since it was new is the need to constantly replace the inadequate brakes (heavy vehicle). And, I'd rather have one of the BMW powerplant's out of the Range Rover 4.4. It's the same engine used in the 7-series and is very strong. The price tag is outragous though.

My comparisons: I've owned a '73 CJ-5, a '93 Wrangler, a '94 Jeep Cherokee Laredo, and a '96 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The Rover is more reliable than the '94 and '96 Jeeps, but the '93 Wrangler was rock solid. The Rover will win off road no hands down, but the Cherokee's handle much better on the road.

LR's don't have the electrical problems that say a Jag would have pre-Ford, and they are structurally sound. The price tag is in-line with domestics, but you don't get all the fluff in the dash.

I may end up back with a Jeep for the gas consumption if I like the new styling being released this year. I no longer need to go off road as I don't hunt down here in FL. :)

DFC5343:
I have been telling him. The DOT and Rover are putting airbags in and some other stuff to make the Defender G2G for 2005. Then all the old ones will be worth junk. I will let you know if he does.

Word on the street last time I enquired was that defender would be replaced by a new vehicle in 2007. I would suggest that Rover won't do the necessary to the Defender for only 2 years sales in the states...... you might have to wait untill 2007 for the new vehicle

Jon T

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom