Land photographer needs underwater advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would go with C. I also agree with scubajoe and dave enjoy first the diving and learn all your underwater skills. Once you feel good you can start shooting. No hurry...

Great macro shots!
On the topic of your vacation photos; given your amount of dive experience, I think you are probably still trying to work on things like bouyancy control etc. It would probably be better to rent a kit to use. You can count on bumping into something, and you wouldn't want it to be with a set up of your own that cost thousands of dollars. Have a great vacation!

Scott99999:
Thanks guys...it's what I figured. Simple is usually the best. Since I'm a photographer by trade, I'm always a real perfectionist when it comes to quality, but this is just a week-long vacation, so I realize I'm not going to suddenly become a super underwater photographer.

If anyone has tips on maximizing the combination of a Canon SD500 and underwater housing, I appreciate it (as I appreciate the tips above). :)

With only the housing, the most important thing in you first UW shots is:
HAVE FUN!
Best results straight from the box are:
- With flash on, stick to macro work.
- With flash off, compensate to dark and shoot silouettes.
Have fun!

Only you know how your bouyancy control is at this point, and even if you think you've got everything under control you may find with the added distraction of a camera you really don't.

Don't know where you were thinking of renting if you did, but I wouldn't count on being able rent something in the islands you will be happy with. In a major dive destination you should have some decent options, but seems unlikely in St. Martin or St. Barts. Renting something at home to take along is an option but it's probably more cost effective and better to just go with C.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom