Land photographer needs underwater advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm heading to St. Martin & St. Barts in a few weeks with my girlfriend. I do some land-based macro photography, seen here:

My insects at my photo archive

I've just about completed my advanced certification for diving, and we're going to be doing a lot of snorkeling.

QUESTION: I've got a Nikon D1X, a Canon SD500, and a Canon SD230 (same series). I know that housings are available for both the SD500 and D1X. I can spend a few hundred dollars, but if I want to get some starter underwater shots, should I:

A) Rent a housing for the D1X.
B) Rent a whole camera outfit from a dive shop.
C) Just get a WP-DC70 housing for my SD500, relax my expectations, and have a good time.
D) Other...

Basically, I'm not looking for anything hardcore, but I'd like some nicely lit underwater shots instead of a bunch of blurry, snowy throwaways.

Advice is appreciated!

I'd reccomend B or C. Looking at the number of dives you have the less stuff you have to mess with will make the diving more enjoyable. Speaking from my own experience a camera can seriously detract from you diving pleasure. I'd really reccomend D...skip the camera until you have a few more dives. Just go and enjoy the dive. There is always next time.....

Joe

BTW....Great insect pictures!

I think i'd get the housing for the Canon. You know the camera and this will be beneficial (one less thing to learn) when you are heading underwater!

The have a good time part is essential!!

D1X housing won't be cheap to buy. dSLR housing generally starts at a bit over $1000 not including ports. Not sure what D1X housing would cost but cheapest D2X housing is just a bit under $4000.
To house a dSLR camera is a major commitment so I think choice b or C would be a good place to start to see if you even enjoy underwater photography.

Ditto ssra30, option C.

I'd stay away from option B and go with A or C. With A or C, you stay with a camera you know and with option B you will go with a camera and housing probably unknown to you with very limited options and will likely get disappointing images. Knowing your kit is so very important, that I simply wouldn't want unknown photo kit in my hands on trip that I might not repeat. Furthermore, what you rent from a shop may likely be a camera with very limited creativity options; i.e. fixed shutter speed and/or autofocus, and/or fixed aperature. Personally, I wouldn't want to use a camera where I didn't have the option to change all of those.

Scott99999:
C) Just get a WP-DC70 housing for my SD500, relax my expectations, and have a good time.
D) Other...
Advice is appreciated!

C for sure!! It' easy and compact to use every dive you do, even when having a "task" dive for your certification. Got myself Sony 4,1Mp with it's housing for recreational use. If you take a lot of closeups you manage up with the original flash.

Scott99999:
Hello everyone,

I'm heading to St. Martin & St. Barts in a few weeks with my girlfriend. I do some land-based macro photography, seen here:

My insects at my photo archive

I've just about completed my advanced certification for diving, and we're going to be doing a lot of snorkeling.

QUESTION: I've got a Nikon D1X, a Canon SD500, and a Canon SD230 (same series). I know that housings are available for both the SD500 and D1X. I can spend a few hundred dollars, but if I want to get some starter underwater shots, should I:

D) Other...

Basically, I'm not looking for anything hardcore, but I'd like some nicely lit underwater shots instead of a bunch of blurry, snowy throwaways.

Advice is appreciated!
Turn your flash off and fire away! Use the built-in flash only for macro shots (or close-ups in very clean water). Focus on ambient lighting and composition to begin with. Your camera will, in all likelihood, select the widest aperture for every shot, which is fine so long as you take into account the fact that your depth of field will be limited. If possible, select a white balance setting that yields a slight "pinkish" cast (when viewing something white) above water. This will help to offset the blue cast that you'll get underwater with "auto white balance". Enjoy!

Thanks guys...it's what I figured. Simple is usually the best. Since I'm a photographer by trade, I'm always a real perfectionist when it comes to quality, but this is just a week-long vacation, so I realize I'm not going to suddenly become a super underwater photographer.

If anyone has tips on maximizing the combination of a Canon SD500 and underwater housing, I appreciate it (as I appreciate the tips above). :)

Back
Top Bottom