Land-Based options for Alor (or 'nearby')

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks! You didn't happen to see their "new" cottage did you? That's what we have on hold but there aren't pix on their site yet.
Just-in-time review as we are about to book... just waiting for my buddy to confirm her flights. I'm a bit more tempted by Tanapi - their price is usually much more but I think they will match Nautika for us. But they don't have Nitrox yet (they are seeing if they can borrow tanks for us). I will be there 4N before she get's there so I might spit my time b/n the two. They are only 3min apart.

They just added an open covered area next to the dining area where you can sit outside and relax. Above this is the balcony area as you see in one of the pics. There is also a new camera room. Not sure what the cottage is that you're asking about. They are building something next door though, but it's nowhere near done. The room we were in is spacious and everything is very clean and the water pressure is strong and hot.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230416_151658_LINE.jpg
    Screenshot_20230416_151658_LINE.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 63
  • Screenshot_20230416_151639_LINE.jpg
    Screenshot_20230416_151639_LINE.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 63
  • Screenshot_20230416_151638_LINE.jpg
    Screenshot_20230416_151638_LINE.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 69
  • Screenshot_20230416_151645_LINE.jpg
    Screenshot_20230416_151645_LINE.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 67
  • Screenshot_20230416_152252_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230416_152252_Gallery.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 73
Hello, and thank you for your interest in Alor Tanapi Dive Resort.

We would like to introduce our dive resort to the dive community looking for off-the-beaten-track experiences in places such as Alor.

If you are looking to dive Alor, we would be very happy to welcome you to our newly opened resort: Alor Tanapi Dive Resort Indonesia [Alor Diving And Resort]

Here are just a few highlights of what you can expect at our newly opened dive resort:

• Prime Location: Nestled by the picturesque coastline, our resort offers convenient access to a plethora of dive sites, each offering unique and awe-inspiring underwater landscapes.

• Comfortable Accommodations: After a day of diving adventures, retreat to our cozy and well-appointed rooms, designed with your comfort in mind. Relax, rejuvenate, and prepare for another day of exploration.

• Professional Dive Services: Our experienced dive team is committed to providing safe and memorable dive experiences. Diving in Alor requires a deep understanding of the local conditions to be able to safely navigate the currents of Alor’s waters. Our dedicated dive team is here not only to ensure your safety but also to unveil the hidden marine wonders you might otherwise miss.

• For convenient and efficient travel to Alor's best dive sites, our custom-built fiberglass speedboat is at your service. Powered by two 150hp 4-stroke engines, our speedboat ensures reliable performance while minimizing environmental impact. This dual-engine setup offers both power and dependability, promising a smooth journey to and from Alor's diverse underwater landscapes.

• Dive Excursions and Packages: We offer a range of dive excursions and packages tailored to suit your preferences and skill level. From beautiful coral garden dives to muck diving, there’s an adventure waiting for everyone.

• Freshly prepared meals: After an exciting day of diving or snorkeling in Alor's waters, enjoy our freshly cooked meals. Our menu is filled with a variety of authentic Indonesian dishes made from local ingredients, capturing the true taste of the country. We’re also happy to cater to different preferences and dietary needs to ensure everyone’s satisfaction.

• Warm Hospitality: We pride ourselves on delivering exceptional service and creating a welcoming atmosphere for all our guests. Our friendly Alorese staff is dedicated to ensuring your stay with us is nothing short of extraordinary.

Visit our website Alor Tanapi Dive Resort Indonesia [Alor Diving And Resort] for more information and feel free to contact us for any questions.
Aerial view Alor Tanapi (1).jpg

Just an update - I did stay at Nautika. The staff is wonderful. I got upgraded to one of the new cottages and it was very nice. Dive staff was great. Dives were fantastic and I can't wait to go back. We got a very rare encounter with a (big) blue marlin. She hung out with us for ~5min. Very happy divers! Also had a school of hammerheads - they were a bit deeper but we had a nice view.
As someone else pointed out - the only thing you could complain about at Nautika is sometimes the food is a bit lackluster. Tho some meals are very very good. I still follow both Nautika and Alor Tanapi on IG. I think the latter would be a more deluxe experience. Perhaps next time I can check it out. I saw one of them got to see Threshers there recently.

Having also done a LOB in Komodo right after 10 days in Alor, I would say I'll be going to Alor much sooner than a return to Komodo... but don't tell anyone that. We don't want the word to spread too quickly.

Anyone have ideas on easy travel to Alor from Labuan Bajo(Komodo) or DPS?
There is no easy travel to Alor. From DPS, Lion flies to Kupang. Overnight. Fly Wings to Alor in the morning. (Don't be deceived by the Lion website that says it has an afternoon flight to Alor from Kupang. Never ever happens). Return in one day. You can get to Alor in one day from Jakarta, but the flight leaves sometime between midnight and 2 am. The terminal is hot, announcements aren't in English. Basically find someone going to Kupang and follow them around. The gate is never the one on your ticket. I think the flight stops somewhere on the way to Kupang. Last year I finally got Lion to accept my credit card, but it was AMEX. Visa and MC use a verification process that doesn't work with Lion's system. Otherwise you have to use a third party. It might have changed, but I doubt it.

You can take a public ferry from Kupang to Alor. It is every other day (one day, one direction), and it is much cheaper than the flight (esp with bags). I will do that next time I go. It's 5hrs, but I HATE supporting Lion Air (even tho without it what would we have - but they are absolute criminals)... and given all the time for airport, delays, etc the ferry to me is a better option. But you will likely want to get someone speaking english to help you. Nautika arranged it all for me on my return after Lion canceled my flight 1day before my return.

We flew from the UK to Denpasar, spent a night in the very nice Meridian Hotel. Then we flew to Kupang and stayed in a hotel near the airport, also nice. Then the following day we flew to Alor and spent about 9 nights in Alami Alor, where we had some of the best diving of our lives. On the way back we got to DPS in a day and were picked up by Absolute Scuba and taken to Padang Bai where we had a few more days diving. We did all this on two busy but memorable weeks.

There is no easy travel to Alor. From DPS, Lion flies to Kupang. Overnight. Fly Wings to Alor in the morning. (Don't be deceived by the Lion website that says it has an afternoon flight to Alor from Kupang. Never ever happens). Return in one day. You can get to Alor in one day from Jakarta, but the flight leaves sometime between midnight and 2 am. The terminal is hot, announcements aren't in English. Basically find someone going to Kupang and follow them around. The gate is never the one on your ticket. I think the flight stops somewhere on the way to Kupang. Last year I finally got Lion to accept my credit card, but it was AMEX. Visa and MC use a verification process that doesn't work with Lion's system. Otherwise you have to use a third party. It might have changed, but I doubt it.

They continue to sell that flight from Kupang to Alor in the afternoon and it has been cancelled every day for well over 1.5 years. They automatically rebook you on the morning flight but the minor detail is that you may still be in-flight, trying to get to Kupang when that flight is scheduled to leave. Or, you might not even be on your flight there yet.

I used to use Nusatrip.com to bypass the access issues of booking direct with Indonesian airlines. I have always had trouble EXCEPT with Garuda. Nusatrip changed their credit card verification system so all my cards no longer work. I now book with Tiket.com and actually like it a lot better. Their app is good, their customer service can be accessed via WhatsApp which is nice when you are traveling. I had to whitelist my card with them at one point but my friends and partner had no issues. (Whitelisting it meant e-mailing them a photo of my credit card with my passport in the same frame, unedited.) It's completely safe - my data was never compromised.

So I would actually recommend people to book that afternoon Kupang-Alor flight if they have travel insurance. That's what we did and got travel insurance to pay for the inevitable overnight in Kupang. We didn't have to pay for taxi, food, or hotel in Kupang. We could even restock our snacks and toiletries for free. Book the ticket and plan for cancellation.

"Hilariously," our Kupang-Alor afternoon flight got rescheduled to the morning of ... the same day, not the day after. Which is before our LBJ-KOE afternoon flight. Somehow they thought we could fly KOE-ARD in the morning then LBJ-KOE in the afternoon of the same day! We rebooked afterward with no issue.

We dove with Lazy Turtles and absolutely adored them. The couple running it are now some of my favorite scuba people in the world. The diving is the best I've ever experienced. They tailor dive sites and dive profiles to your preferences and diving skills. If there are differences in experiences or preferences (some want only muck, others want only pelagics and schooling), they would send two guides even if there are only two-three divers. Both inexperienced and experienced divers had a good time.

We stayed in Petit Kepa, another group we know stayed in Merangki at the same time. Petit Kepa was much better. The rooms are simpler, but you can charge your devices all day, and there's more food with better variety. It was marginally cheaper when we booked too.

Next time I'll prob either dive with Air Dive Alor or split between them and Lazy Turtle, bc Alor turns out to be a fab tech diving destination, and Lazy Turtle doesn't do tech. When we priced it, we thought Lazy Turtle + Petit Kepa worked out to be cheaper than Air Dive Alor, but only marginally.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom