Lana'i with Trilogy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We did the Trilogy Lanai trip several years ago, before my wife became a diver, so we didn't dive. From what I remember, they landed in Lanai and those that were going to dive got on a different dive boat at Lanai and set off from there. They did not dive off the sailboat.

The boat was nice and the crew frendly enough. Althouh they bragged how they were the "only operator that really sails accross the channel", they actually only flew the sails for only about 15 minutes of the 45 min. trip.

the lunch of overcooked chichen breast and oriental noodles, could have been better for the price of the trip, which was not cheap my any means. Hopefully they have improved that over the years.

You do get to hang out on one of the top 10 rated beachs in the world though, which is a cool bragging right, I guess.

We did the Cathedral dives with Maui Dive Shop on a later trip, I don't remember them being very deep dives at all. Look for frog fish after exiting the cave along the outer walls and keep your ears open for spinner dolphin clicks and whistles.

Sharky, thanks for the info. We are staying on Lanai so we won't be on the sailboat. Yes, I've been told they have a smaller dive boat they use for the afternoon dives.

Maggi, I called EH and they do pick up divers at the harbor on Lanai. They have to pay a fee to dock there, which they rightly pass on to the divers, so that adds to the cost. I am more than willing to pay the dock fee to dive with them, but they said right now it would be 5 divers that day, including us, which is the minimum number they will take out. If someone cancels at the last minute, they will cancel the trip. In this case, not only would we not dive, but we would have paid the dock fee. Too risky. I will say they were very friendly, professional and helpful. Next time we are in West Maui, I will be sure to give them a call.

Afterwards, I called to confirm our reservation with Trilogy. Unless others sign up between now and Friday, it is going to be just 3 divers total. I aksed about the dive sites and she said it was 'divers choice'! Doesn't sound too bad. Since it's such a small group, maybe the DM will be more inclined to let us have a longer bottom time.

So that now begs another question: other than the cathedrals, what dive sites should we request?

HI. . .I didn't know about the dock fee. . . sorry about that. . .just passing along info I knew! Just have fun and enjoy! Maggi

Maggi, I called EH and they do pick up divers at the harbor on Lanai. They have to pay a fee to dock there, which they rightly pass on to the divers, so that adds to the cost. I am more than willing to pay the dock fee to dive with them, but they said right now it would be 5 divers that day, including us, which is the minimum number they will take out. If someone cancels at the last minute, they will cancel the trip. In this case, not only would we not dive, but we would have paid the dock fee. Too risky. I will say they were very friendly, professional and helpful. Next time we are in West Maui, I will be sure to give them a call.

You might want to double check what "last minute" is -- typically that means before the cancellation policy window. (I.e. most ops here have a 24-48 hour cancellation policy... if you cancel later than 24 (or 48) hours before your charter, you still have to pay full price, and that *usually* means they count that seat as filled for the purposes of whether to run or not)

Have fun with them, and be sure to report on how it goes, as we have very little info on the Trilogy dive trips - It would be good to add to the Hawaii Forum :)

Aloha, Tim

We leave tomorrow morning and will dive with Trilogy on Friday.

Maggi, thanks again. EH was a very good suggestion and it came very close to working out. It was a good learning experience and maybe this thread will help others in the future.

Kris, you are correct. EH has a 48 hour cancellation policy. So divers had until close of business last night (Tues) to cancel their spot for Friday. Unfortunately, the paperwork they have to submit to be able to dock at Lanai is also required by Tues. We would have had to commit before knowing for sure. Since the dock fee is not insignificant, we decided to not chance it.

Tim, I will be sure to provide a trip report on Trilogy as well as B&B upon return from paradise.

Thank you all for your suggestions and good wishes!

have fun!! Just wondering, how much IS the dock fee? Just curious! Take care and have fun! Tell Brad and Blesi Maggi and Bob say hi!! Maggi

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom