Lana'i with Trilogy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WarmWaterWeenie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife and I are going to be staying on Lana'i and Mau'i next week. On Mau'i we're set up to dive with B&B a couple of days. Prior to that, we'd like to dive one day from Lana'i. Our hotel mentioned Trilogy does afternoon 2-tank dives. Anyone with experience with them? I don't have high expectations, but at least we will be blowing bubbles and getting us prepared to dive with B&B.

What sites will they dive? I assume at least one will be Cathedrals I or II? Are these deep dive sites? This will be my first effort at U/W photography. Since this will be my first dive of the year, my preference would be do the first dive without my camera, so I can get 'comfortable'. But if the first dive is going to be Cathedrals and second dive a shallow reef dive, I will probably take my camera for Cathedrals.

I'd appreciate any comments!

Trilogy is known for their top notch, high class, pampering day cruise experiences ... but not for diving :wink: If you will be taking them from Lanai (All their boats I am aware of depart from Maui) they will probably be your only choice.

IF you are taking them from Maui, then you'll be better off going with Extended Horizons (first choice) or Lahaina Divers (second choice).

I've only done the second cathedral once and my logbook says I had a max depth of 54fsw. Have not dove first cathedral yet.

I'd see about getting a shore dive in before doing the cathedral dives as you WILL want your camera - they are very "photogenic" locations :wink:

Have Fun :)

Aloha, Tim

Thanks Tim. As usual, you are a wealth of information.

Yes, I am familiar with Trilogy. Unfortunately (from a diving perspective), we are on Lanai. So as you indicated, we don't have a choice. I will make sure I have my camera with me for whichever dive(s) are at Cathedral. Maybe they will do the second there since it's not very deep.

Oh well, at the very least, it will be a so-so dive with a rigid dive operator. As my name indicates, I don't dive in our local waters off Northern CA, so it will still be great fun.

I've dove Cathedral I. The entrance is around 60' or less.

Trilogy might take you to Shark Fin also:

So as to immediately disillusion all avid shark divers: This site is named after the pinnacle that protrudes from the water and resembles a fin. It is actually one of the few sites off Lana'i where divers don't expect to see sharks (how ironic!), but many other exotic and unusual fish can be found. Pyramid butterflies, chevron tangs and other rare species dwell in the area. This is not a particularly deep dive; it descends to about 65 feet. Extended Horizons and Trilogy make regular excursions.

Thanks for the info Steve. Sounds promising. I appreciate seeing unusual or rare creatures. I enjoy dives with shallow pinnacles or reefs. It's always good having stuff to explore during safety stops.

I was on the Trilogy in both Mau'i and Lana'i.

Unfortunately, I was not a diver yet, only a snorkeler.

As was said, they are a 1st class operation. We had a great time. Sound like you're going to have a blast. Be sure to write a trip report.

Since you're leaving from Lanai, I suspect Trilogy is your only real option (unless you want to catch the EARLY ferry across to Lahaina, schlep gear down to Mala, hop on with Extended Horizons then do the whole thing in reverse afterwards).

I do believe Trilogy has some sort of dive operation that leaves from the harbour on Lanai.

As for sites & depths: both Cathedrals sites meet the PADI definition of "deep" dive: greater than 60'. First Cathedrals (which I've done once) maxed out at 70' with the cavern being in the 55' range (if I remember the dive correctly enough to line up to the computer profile).

Second Cathedrals (which I've done twice) maxed out at 63' and 76'. Looking at my profile, the 76' portion was when I went deeper than the group (I was on Nitrox) to look at something. Most of that dive would be in the 60' range normally.

It's too bad you can't reverse your plans and use the Molokini dives as the sans-camera warmup. The Lanai sites are typically in better shape than anything I've seen at Molokini -- while the crater is nice (and also convenient to Maui), it sees WAY more human traffic than the Lanai sites. Not to mention the critter life being more varied on Lanai.

you might want to call Extended Horizons and talk with them. When we were on Maui this past winter (Feb-Mar/07) and took a charter with them to Lanai, they picked up a guy on Lanai to do the charter, too, then dropped him off on the way back to Maui. Maggi

Maggi, thanks for your great suggestion. We are renting BCD, reg and wetsuit, so this would make it more difficult, but it can't hurt to give them a call.

Kris, thanks for the detail on the dive sites. Very helpful. I've dived Molokini many times. After reading your comment about the critter life off Lanai, I am even more excited.

Natasha, I will be sure to post a trip report when we get back.

EH has rental gear, too! Just make sure to ask them about it! Take care, Maggi

Back
Top Bottom