Lanai versus Maui Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The diving off Lanai is great! I don't know of any shore-operators there, however... most of the dives done off Lanai are done from boats that leave from Lahaina Harbour (Maui).

The species you'll see, and the numbers of them, are pretty much the same, but the topography is a bit different. We dove pinnacles off Lanai, and Lanai has the Cathedrals, which are lava caves and quite fun. Maui has Molokini. But both places are hard corals with a lot of small reef fish.

Hi,

How is the diving in Lanai? Is it better to dive there or Maui?

Thanks!

Terri

The beauty of what you are asking is you can dive both in the same day. As mentioned, Lanai is a boat dive.

One Maui site that I found was a lot of fun and doesn't get mentioned much is the old Navy pier. Lots of wild life including white tip sharks.

Have a great trip.

Dave

One Maui site that I found was a lot of fun and doesn't get mentioned much is the old Navy pier.

One reason you do not see much mention of a Navy pier might be that there is no Navy pier. As I have been told, Mala wharf was built by the Army Corps of Engineers in the early 1900's ('30's?). One story is that either beach sand or salt water was used to make the concrete for the wharf, and due to the concrete disintegrating it was condemned shortly after completion ('50's?). Sept. of '92, storm surge from Hurricane Iniki knocked much of the wharf down, so Mala Wharf is now a popular "wreck" dive.

A SB search for "mala wharf" returned 73 threads. Searching just "mala" gave 187 threads, although not all about Maui. I posted two threads back in Sept. and much Mala discussion was made in a prominent Oct. thread;

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/hawaii-ohana/248457-great-mala-wreck-dive-scubadrew.html

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/hawaii-ohana/254470-frogfish-turtles-sharks-oh-my.html

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/hawaii-ohana/256844-top-10-maui-shore-dives.html

Lots of wild life including white tip sharks.

Just a small correction here, white tip shark is usually a shortened version of Oceanic white tip shark, which will not be found at Mala. White tip reef sharks are what you will often find at Mala, and reef shark is a more appropriate shortened descriptor. After using the full term (white tip reef shark) once or twice, just using white tips is common.

Last edited:
Personally I'd stay on Maui. The West Maui diveops - Lahaina Divers, Extended Horizons, others have almost daily 1/2 day trips out to Lanai. The "signature" dive there, Cathedrals, is often done. I also liked Sharkfin.

The advantage to staying on Maui is that the South Maui diveops, Ed Robinsons, B&B Scuba, Mike Severn's, others leave from Kihei and dive Molokini crater, both front and back (depending on the boat's skill level) as well. I think it's one of the best dives available from Maui. Someone does it from Lanai also (Trilogy?), but not as often. It's somehow related to the upscale resort there.

Later afternoon trips are done closer to Maui as the tradewinds pick up often in the afternoon making the crossing rough. And there's a lot of good shorediving off Maui, I've only read of one or two good sites off Lanai. And a whole lot more other activities on Maui: helo rides, the volcano bike ride, shopping in Lahaina or Waimea, excellent golf courses, some great restaurants, etc.

One reason you do not see much mention of a Navy pier might be that there is no Navy pier. As I have been told, Mala wharf was built by the Army Corps of Engineers in the early 1900's ('30's?). One story is that either beach sand or salt water was used to make the concrete for the wharf, and due to the concrete disintegrating it was condemned shortly after completion ('50's?). Sept. of '92, storm surge from Hurricane Iniki knocked much of the wharf down, so Mala Wharf is now a popular "wreck" dive.

A SB search for "mala wharf" returned 73 threads. Searching just "mala" gave 187 threads, although not all about Maui. I posted two threads back in Sept. and much Mala discussion was made in a prominent Oct. thread;

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/hawaii-ohana/248457-great-mala-wreck-dive-scubadrew.html

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/hawaii-ohana/254470-frogfish-turtles-sharks-oh-my.html

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/hawaii-ohana/256844-top-10-maui-shore-dives.html

Just a small correction here, white tip shark is usually a shortened version of Oceanic white tip shark, which will not be found at Mala. White tip reef sharks are what you will often find at Mala, and reef shark is a more appropriate shortened descriptor. After using the full term (white tip reef shark) once or twice, just using white tips is common.

Your right about the Mala, sorry for the confussion. I will also make sure to add 'reef' to any reference to a white tip shark that is not considered a pelargic fish. Thank you again. Your awesome Halemano!

One reason you do not see much mention of a Navy pier might be that there is no Navy pier. As I have been told, Mala wharf was built by the Army Corps of Engineers in the early 1900's ('30's?). One story is that either beach sand or salt water was used to make the concrete for the wharf, and due to the concrete disintegrating it was condemned shortly after completion ('50's?). Sept. of '92, storm surge from Hurricane Iniki knocked much of the wharf down, so Mala Wharf is now a popular "wreck" dive....

FWIW - when I did some research earlier this year I found information that the wharf was constructed between 1918-1922 and originally intended for the offloading of passenger ships - only 2 vessels successfully offloaded without damaging the vessels due to the currents at this site - it was then used for mail delivery until the 50's when it was condemned, after which it was used to tie up dinghy's (which are now stored on the side of the boat ramp) until, as you noted, Iniki brought it to it's current state.

Course you know how valid info is when you read it on the internet :wink:

I've had some great dives here, including a nice clear night dive last week - always lots of life, especially turtles and the frequent White tip reef shark (I didn't know "White Tip" referred to the Oceanic White tips - thx Helmano)

Back to the original topic ... I have friends from Lanai that fish there regularly, they pointed out to me that the fish off their shores tend to be MUCH larger - 20# Uhu (parrot fish) are not all that uncommon, whereas off Maui it's unusual to find even a 5# one.

The water tends to be clearer as well due to the lower amount of run off (not as much shoreline)

But as pointed out, it's difficult to find information about shore diving on Lana'i - and I am not sure what facilities exist on the island to support Scuba divers.

The most common Lana'i dives are boat dives out of Lahaina to the Cathedrals, and other boat sites.

Have fun - and enjoy the water :)

Aloha, Tim

Tim, How do you enter at Mala at night? That's not so easy during the day trying to step over the dead coral. It has to be a little harder entry at night. Just curious how you get in an out in the dark.
Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom