Lanai trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bbarada

Contributor
Reaction score
Just returned from a Lanai dive with Extended Horizons, leaving from Lahaina.

The boat was small and very crowded. Had to send one group to the bow so the other group could gear up and get in the water. Same with returning. The boat wasn't very stable either, with a number of divers getting sick while gearing up or on the surface interval.

On the plus side, the dive masters were very informative, found some great stuff, and very energetic. The second dive at Second Cathedral had stunning topography and was really beautiful.

After the second dive, when everyone was on the boat and securing for the ride home, a mid-size whale shark came by the boat. My wife and the dive master went over the side with their snorkel gear, but no luck. He (or she) took off pretty quick.

You described the reason we go with Lahaina Divers to Lanai...I have sea sick problems and the big 46' Newtons give such a comfortable ride.

VERY cool about the whale shark, that's on my short list of wants to see. :)

Aloha,

I am one of the two people who saw the Whale Shark; from the bow after I hauled in the mooring line. The Captain saw it first; a shadow is all anybody else saw I thought. If I hadn't already crossed that fish off my list at Molokini's Backside a few years back I would be frustrated (Maren is).

Every day is different, with different guests; today the seas were rougher and rollier, but only one guest needed to be diligent about keeping eyes on the horizon (hee, hee) and nobody fed the fish :) Everybody also got to dive an 80 cft!

The trip across to Lanai is well known for it's discomfort to some; my mother skied a lot of moguls the spring before I was born so a bumpy ride just makes me drowsy. If only more landlubbers followed the sea sickness avoidance plan nearly any Lahaina activity agent with a month of experience should give out; proper medication and sustinence starting the night before.

Since those prone to sea sickness are recommended to go with LD it's probable they have just as much fish feeding as EH, if not more.

On the plus side, the dive masters were very informative, found some great stuff, and very energetic.

Many Mahalos!

Halemano are you working for EH now? Maybe I'll get a chance to meet you next month.

Halemano are you working for EH now? Maybe I'll get a chance to meet you next month.

Tuesday & Wednesday boat trips are the most likely to include me, although if more people sign up I usually get to work more (day and night shore dives as well). :wink:

How long/strenuous of a walk will you do for a dive? :lotsalove:

Cool. We probably won't do too many boat dives on this trip - havent decided exactly which to do as we're pretty content with the shore dives most of the time, but I have always liked EH every time I've been out with them. Was always treated like royalty. Last time, with my 12 year old daughter they were fantastic. Sent us into First Cathedral to get pics first before the rest of the group came in.. Great experience. Maybe we'll see you there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom