Lanai Lookout. I know what you mean.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
A buddy and I went to Lanai Lookout today. We didn't want to go *all the way* to the North Shore and wanted to say local. The report said 1-3 so we checked it out and it looked like a go. And it was.
We hopped in and dropped down, started the cruise, and found some serious surge. Things were kinda washed out and there weren't too many critters around at all. Except for a massive eel and some run-of-the-mill fish.

There really wasn't all that much out there. So I checked out some Christmas Tree worms...and found this.

1246300016_5a1a46b6f0.jpg

And that was all I got in the picture department.

The tide came in and the exit was running its course in my head...and finally played out more intense than I imagined. Two wise men once told me a tale of their first visit to Lanai Lookout. They told me about the wildest exit they had ever done...

Jay. Ed. I know what you mean.

ThatsSomeBadHatHarry:
[...] Two wise men once told me a tale of their first visit to Lanai Lookout. They told me about the wildest exit they had ever done...

I've done that dive twice - both times with an experienced guide (a CD who worked
on Oahu for years before moving over here to the Big Island), and I'll tell you what -
I'd have never found the exit if I hadn't been following his fins ...

So our last dive there was in late June - quick trip - and we're gearing up in the
parking lot above, talking with the local tourists. One of them strikes up a conversation
("Hi, I'm a diver", blah blah blah) and she takes a look at the conditions, a look at us,
and says "Someone knows that you're here, right?" :eek:

Ahhhh, my grasshopper. Now you know the fun/excitement of the lookout. If you only had 1-3 then it was still a great day. I think think the day that we went (our first day) the surf was more like windblown 5-7ft swells. Crashing waves over the end of the entry ledge. Much excitement to be had. Then a few weeks ago it was 1-2ft and low tide with about a 6-7 foot drop down to the water.

When the waves are up it is still very diveable for those that are familiar with the site. You can go through the tunnel to exit and it really cleans up the exit a lot.

i love lanai lookout. we did a drift dive to the blowhole-- super far dive, but we made it. Danny and Marcia led the dive. it was awesome!!

nice picture

rockjock3:
Ahhhh, my grasshopper. Now you know the fun/excitement of the lookout. If you only had 1-3 then it was still a great day. I think think the day that we went (our first day) the surf was more like windblown 5-7ft swells. Crashing waves over the end of the entry ledge. Much excitement to be had. Then a few weeks ago it was 1-2ft and low tide with about a 6-7 foot drop down to the water.

When the waves are up it is still very diveable for those that are familiar with the site. You can go through the tunnel to exit and it really cleans up the exit a lot.

The surge was rippin' the whole time. Baaaaaaaaack and forth. The times I did it with you before were child's play!

I can't find the cave. I thought I knew just where it was. no dice.

We were there late yesterday afternoon and then down to Blow Hole! It sounds like it might have calmed down a bit by the time we were there, or maybe not. Viz wasn't that great and the exit was a bit, um... swirly.

There were TWO Conger eels in the cave and they weren't being shy. One large moray and a big Tako was about it for other life.

Great shot of the Christmas Tree worm!

The cave can be tricky if you don't know where it is exactly.

That big rock, that looks like the bow of a ship, that marks the left side of the channel as you are swimming is markes the spot. If you go on the right side of it then you hit the channel. If you go to the left of it then it will close down to a tight v-shaped cove and you simply get on the bottom and you will find the cave. It doesn't jump out at you though, it sort of looks like an overhang, but it is right there.

I'll get you there next time we dive it together.

rockjock3:
The cave can be tricky if you don't know where it is exactly.

That big rock, that looks like the bow of a ship, that marks the left side of the channel as you are swimming is markes the spot. If you go on the right side of it then you hit the channel. If you go to the left of it then it will close down to a tight v-shaped cove and you simply get on the bottom and you will find the cave. It doesn't jump out at you though, it sort of looks like an overhang, but it is right there.

I'll get you there next time we dive it together.

Ok, i was looking on the wrong side of the "bow"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom