Lanai Dive Boat Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

runway1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Which are your favorite dive boat operations for a trip to the lava tubes at Lanai? Looking to dive about mid-August this year. Thanks!

We choose to dive with Lahaina Divers to Lanai because of their big 46' Newton dive boats. The crossing can be rough at times, and we have found the Newtons to have a much better ride than the 32' aluminum boat that Extended Horizons uses. There are compromises with Lahaina Divers in that they carry more divers, though divide as much by experience level as possible and your group will only have about 8 divers. They also use aluminum 72 tanks instead of the standard 80's, which although isn't a problem for us, some feel they are limiting a bit. We've always had 45-50 minute dives with them, and considering the short SI (due to needing to get back across to Maui before the trades pick up), it is plenty of time for us.

My son and I had a good experience with Lahaina Divers also. I would not hesitate to use them. Very reliable and comfortable transportaton to the dive site. They cut us a fair amount of freedom on the dives once we had proven our abilities.

Good diving, Craig

My fave is Hawaiian Rafting Adventures. They give you 80 cu ft. tanks (unless you ask for bigger or smaller), and you don't come up until you're getting low on air. They have at least one DM that will out last just about everybody. :)

Their boat is fast (so the dives aren't as rushed to avoid the wind) and cruises on top of the waves... not hitting them (or trying to plow through) like others.

They also generally have smaller groups (2 x 6 divers).

What about FOOD?? Is it typical on HI boats to not serve any food? Just curious because I haven't seen any advertised. In so-cal, they feed you well.:D

What about FOOD?? Is it typical on HI boats to not serve any food? Just curious because I haven't seen any advertised. In so-cal, they feed you well.:D
Hawaiian Rafting serves a big lunch (at least compared to Maui dive-boat standards) of a REALLY good sandwich (and usually more than one for the big eaters), chips, cookies and fruit.

My fave is Hawaiian Rafting Adventures. They give you 80 cu ft. tanks (unless you ask for bigger or smaller), and you don't come up until you're getting low on air. They have at least one DM that will out last just about everybody. :)

Their boat is fast (so the dives aren't as rushed to avoid the wind) and cruises on top of the waves... not hitting them (or trying to plow through) like others.

They also generally have smaller groups (2 x 6 divers).

Are you talking about their 28' Rigid Aluminum Inflatable Vessle? I was wondering how that vessle would be with 14 people.:confused:

Are you talking about their 28' Rigid Aluminum Inflatable Vessle? I was wondering how that vessle would be with 14 people.:confused:
I am talking about that one (Pele's RAIV) and their new NAIAD (Hoku) as pictured here: Sea Trials for the new Boat "hoku" - Sea Trials for the new Boat "hoku"

It suits 12 divers + 2 DM + Captain JUST fine! In fact, the layout they have on both those vessels makes for a less cramped ride than most of the other dive boats around Maui that I've been on (which is most of them).

Last time I dove with a 3mm shortie in August. They recommend full suits in the Carribean. Full suit ir shortie?

Last time I dove with a 3mm shortie in August. They recommend full suits in the Carribean. Full suit ir shortie?
It totally depends on you.

Lanai waters tend to be a little chillier than around Maui. (in my experience)

I know a few people that wouldn't go with anything less than a 7mm + hood around there, and others that can't be bothered to even put a wetsuit on.

Temperature range is usually between 72 & 82.

Back
Top Bottom