lake whiskeytown

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

arnied

Registered
Reaction score
I have heard that diving at whiskeytown lake near Redding California has a town which was submerged when they filled the lake. Does anyone have any information on This?
Thanks Wes

I've never been there, but I did ask a guy that lives up there & dives the area. Here's his reply:

Vis is typically 25 - 75 feet, temps 75 surface, 55 below thermocline in the summer... No intact buildings but lots of fish, roadways with signs intact and an interesting water diversion curtain. Good for a days diving or just for fun with some friends... Tahoe is much better!

I know this is probably later than you had hoped, but I just got back from diving at Whiskeytown. The vis was pretty good at about 25 feet+. The temperature was 84 at the surface and 64 when I hit the thermocline. I hear it gets colder down a bit further, but I am a warm water baby. There was a guy there in a dry suit, but for the most part, people just dive in wet suits from 3mm on up. I dove in a 3mm and was just fine above the thermocline.

If you are still interested, I suggest contacting BryanFrerichs at the Redding Area Divers. His website is www.reddingareadivers.com. I met up with them when I did my diving. They are a very friendly bunch and come well prepared with extra tanks, food, etc. I had a great time.

If you do dive there, look under rocks for crawfish. Grab one and feed the bass. They love it. There are plenty of bass and blue gill to see. One of the most interesting sites though was the algae formations. I was very upset that I didn't take a camera.

This is a good freshwater dive. Try it at night. Have a tender build a fire on the beach and take a lite with you. A moon lite night would be preferable. Wet suits work fine during the summer and fall. Visibility is very good and the locals are great.

arnied:
I have heard that diving at whiskeytown lake near Redding California has a town which was submerged when they filled the lake. Does anyone have any information on This?
Thanks Wes

Been diving in the lake many times. Freshwater doesn't have much life, but good place to train when ocean won't let us in.

I have friends who tried to find the town. They claim it was up Whiskey Creek on the north side of the lake. They only were able to look for a little while at 140 ft. and never found it. Richard at Howell's Dive in Redding may have more info for you.

Good Dives, Charlie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom