Lake Travis--who here was involved??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

knobber

Registered
Reaction score
Barge loaded with gawking partygoers capsizes

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) -- Partygoers apparently hoping to catch a glimpse of nude sunbathers crowded on one side of a floating barge, prompting the ship to capsize and dump all 60 people into Lake Travis.

Two people were hospitalized with minor injuries Sunday after the rented double-decker barge sank near Hippie Hollow, a lakeside park and the only public nude beach in Texas.

The accident occurred during Splash Day, a semiannual event hosted at the clothing-optional area by the Austin Tavern Guild, a gay and lesbian bar association.

Witnesses said that all of the people aboard the barge moved to one side as it neared Hippie Hollow, creating uneven distribution and making it tilt. It sank in 50-foot-deep water.

Krista Umscheid, a spokeswoman for the Lower Colorado River Authority, said that although everyone aboard was accounted for, Travis County sheriff's divers were checking compartments of the sunken pontoon boat as a precaution.

That will be a great dive site once the barge is cleared out, if you have a boat.

We usually go there once a year if we have access to a boat you can find all kinds of the usual stuff people drop or throw overboard. Sunglasses, money, towels,hats mardi gras beads.
Some pretty nice sunglasses if they haven't been down long.

Warning...If you don't want to see nekid people don't go. :mooner:

Does this mean Hippie Hollow will now become a popular dive site? 'Cuz you know I need an uh, excuse to go there.

Its funny this story sounds very familiar to something that happend on spring break in lake havasu. Everyone crowed to one of the party boats and nearly sank it with about 80 drunk college students on it. it was funny becuase as the girls moved from boat to boat each one risked sinking. Damm college girls :wink:

Reminds me of a joke....

(pilot on the intercom) "..and now if everybody looks out the left side of the plane.... it will tip over!"

It's much more fun to dive UNDER the nekkid folks at Hippy Hollow. A burst of air from your octo makes them do amazing things! :D

HAHAHA, I got a visual! Can't help it.
Foo

Oh geez, I've been out to Hippie Hollow several times (any excuse to run around naked) and I don't even want to imagine most of the things in this thread based on who I've seen out there. Seeing a 75 year old man naked from the waist down except for one particular... umm... ring... is something that leaves a lasting impression on you. And don't get me started on the guys in the trees with binoculars... :)

Back
Top Bottom