Lake Travis' Starnes Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yesterday, Sunday the 16th, around Starnes Island the temperatures were amazingly-to-me tropical, between 84-86 for quite some depth. I dived the second dive without a wetsuit. It was just two weeks ago at Windy Point that we encountered temps of 74-75 immediately.

Below about 60 ft, temps dropped off sharply, as did the viz. Overall, viz was worse (3'-5') than at Windy Point (10' +), and turned impossible at 70 ft. Having not dived Starnes Island before, I was interested to see the unmoving layers of silt at different depths, like striations in rock.

The large party boats weren't so irritating when anchored, as the oblivious boaters were dangerous when coming too close to our dive buoy.

Oh, and the Starnes Island welcoming orchestra gave a good effort, but the woodwinds section was a bit out of tune. The complimentary umbrella drinks and snacks made up for it, though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom