Lake Travis Re-Opening

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mack Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Finally, after almost two weeks, LCRA officially re-opened Lake Travis at 1:00 today. I know a bunch of the folks have been diving out there for over a week, but now its legal again. From what I hear, the vis is zero down to 20ft and then it opens up.

Alot of diving going on out there this weekend and alot of picnics/kids swimming too since Windy Point was the only park open on the lake till today. The diving conditions have been changing dramatically from day-to-day. Sunday evening the viz was pretty bad (inches) to about 30 feet where it opened up quite nicely (10 feet), then from 50 feet all the way to 75 viz turned bad again but could still see a couple feet. Water temp was 81 at depth of 75. The mosquitos are very bad especially in the evening and there is a stench of rotten fish... due to the rotten fish...

dove it yesterday, vis was not bad past 30' mabe 10'. But when it goes it goes to nothing quick. The surface swim down the rode is interesting. Some pretty big catfish right on the rode near the first BBQ pit. I dont feel sick today so I guess the water quality is ok......

My guess is that the viz is going to be bad for a long time.The deep,cold water has been let out of the floodgates at Mansfield leaving a lake full of warm water. No thermocline means no good viz at depth.

But I could be wrong.

ianr33:
My guess is that the viz is going to be bad for a long time.The deep,cold water has been let out of the floodgates at Mansfield leaving a lake full of warm water. No thermocline means no good viz at depth.

But I could be wrong.

Well get out there and let us know!!! :wink:

ianr33:

But I could be wrong.

so, do you also reckon that opening the gates sucked out all the giant catfish that lived at the base of the dam...pity, they were such interesting creatures.

If anyone wants to go.I'm free to go Fri and Sat. and we can check the vis out and report back to everybody.

Back
Top Bottom