Lake Travis Fatality@Windy Point

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was there when they pulled him out, we were doing our surface interval. Starflight came with a chopper along with a couple of ambulances. Not much they could do for him I guess. He was bleeding from the mouth and nose. They administered O2, and I heard he was in and out of consciousness. Sounds like he was at about 50' when he passed out and was taken to the surface(taking advanced open water, I believe). Medical help was there quickly and there were LOTS of first aid, O2 providers, etc. helping on the scene.

Along with everyone else there, I have speculated on the causes, but it's just that, speculation, so I won't post it here. In addition, I don't know all of this as fact, so please don't take it as such. We'll know more in a couple of days.

Thanks for the insight purduEE, keep us posted on the official report if ya would.

that lives in Austin, I'm interested in this too. Hopefully I can avoid doing whatever killed him. Now I'm scared to take the advanced course.

Dont hesitate to take the advanced course. It will help you develop the skills you need to prevent an accident from happening to you. As of right now we dont know a whole lot about it. There could have been an underlying medical issue that lead to this.

http://www.statesman.com/metrostate...s/today/metro_state_e3ad8fc275cf41861031.html

Here's the Statesman article on the accident. I'll post this, even though it's incorrect in several respects. First, the diver was brought to the surface by his instructor, he was not found floating all by himself as the article seems to imply. In addition, while he may have suffered an embolism, this is probably a result of a problem at depth that forced his ascent while he was not breathing. If so, it is not the cause of the problem, but rather a result. It would make me happy to see non-divers not speculate in the paper, but there it is. The media doesn't sum up plane crashes by saying that the cause of the accident was the plane slamming into the ground, but that's basically what they are saying here.

I'll post more once I have it.

In addition, Oak Hill Scuba is one of the best shops in Austin. My wife was OW certified there. I wouldn't hesitate (and I haven't) to go to OHS for classes, gear, etc. If you are thinking of doing your advanced open water, by all means, sign up and take it. Planes crash, cars have accidents, people win the lottery, etc. It doesn't mean that it's at all likely to happen to you. The quote I've heard a number of times is that you're more likely to get hurt on the way to go diving than you are to get hurt while diving.

Safe diving everyone. I'd be out at Windy point this weekend if I wasn't going to seaspace.

Hey guys, Trey Lessard here. I worked with Michael at the State Bar of Texas. We are both in the IT department. I wasn't with him that day, but I heard about it while I was taking a regulator repair class at my LDS, Dive World. The word from the instructor is that he signaled he was cold at 85' and they began their acsent. At 40' he stopped kicking and went limp. No word as to actual cause of death yet, but I can assure you that he was a very good diver. If he did in fact suffer an air embolism it would have been because he was unable to exhale during the latter part of the ascent. I'll let you know as soon as I get information about the coroners report. If anyone is interested in attending his funeral, it will be Saturday, June 7th. You may e-mail me for directions at: tlessard@texasbar.com.

Thanks, Trey

Trey,
Thank you for you post. Sorry about the loss of your friend and associate. Condolences to his family.
Be safe,
Larry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom