Lake Travis Dive Rpt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carlislere

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I dove Lake Travis at the dam yesterday to check conditions for a couple of MSD classes this weekend. Water temp was 55 degrees down to 65 feet, then dropped to 54 degrees. Vis was a couple of feet up by the dam to 1 foot below 50 feet, but when I got away from the dam it opened up to 3-4 feet till I got to 70 feet where it started to drop. Alot of particles in the water. The fish are hanging around the river channel dropoff.

Glad I'm not diving there anytime soon...

was pretty similar...

Fairly constant 55F to 115', but on my dive the ONLY vis was right at the dam face at 65-70' and was a stunning 2-3'. 25 yds from the dam, it dropped to ~1' at best. You're right about the particle loading, looked like someone had poured milk into the water...

I saw one tiny largemouth bass at 80'...he looked sorta lonely and swam with me for a while...the beer cans are getting more scarce, but I still managed to haul another 25 out...I love stalking the elusive aluminum...

Amazing what a difference a couple of weeks makes, it was 25' vis there on Christmas day.

cyklon_300:
the beer cans are getting more scarce, but I still managed to haul another 25 out...I love stalking the elusive aluminum...

What do you do with the cans after you pull them out?

I collect them in a mesh goodie bag, then take them home and dump them in a 30-gal trash can in my garage...when it gets full I take it to the nice man who sets up about a block from my house and buys scrap aluminum on Saturday mornings...

Gathering the stuff gives me a reason to practice hovering and shooting the lift bag (the garbage can get pretty heavy by the end of a dive).

It makes the lake bottom a little less trashy and last year I estimate I made a whopping $35 from picking up stuff at WP, Hippie Hollow, and Mansfield...chump change, but it pays for some air fills.

Call me odd, but it's kinda fun...

In Lake Travis, it's perfectly acceptable to report the visibility to both the right and the left of the diver. (i.e. 2 ft. to the left and right = 4 ft. vis)

It helps avoid Lake Diving Depression Syndrome........

I miss Lake Travis! That was always a fun place to dive.

ReefTrekker:
In Lake Travis, it's perfectly acceptable to report the visibility to both the right and the left of the diver. (i.e. 2 ft. to the left and right = 4 ft. vis)

It helps avoid Lake Diving Depression Syndrome........

I miss Lake Travis! That was always a fun place to dive.

Dove there friday night as well as sat and sunday. Camped out and had a great time . vis was about 4' water temp 55 during the day and 51 at night. On the north cove at the dam park there were some spots where the vis got to about 7'.That was between 60 and 70 feet but was short lived by 80 and back to 3-5'. Still had a blast...............

Damon

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom