Lake Travis conditions 3/4

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shaggie

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everyone! Just returned from another adventure in the cold and dark, that is Lake Travis. The water is still a chilly 55 deg at Mansfield dam. We dove the "cove side" today and the vis was not as bad as I thought it would be. Above 30' I'd call it 4 or a generous 5 ft vis. Once we got down to 85' maybe a foot and pitch black (of course 1st dive of the day, my eyes weren't adjusted yet). We dove from the point and turned left at the wall. Found some very large grottos at 65'. In fact, we didn't know we were in them until I almost ran into the ceiling!

Second dive was at Hippie Hollow (yea, I know all the jokes. Yes, there were some one eyed eels around). Temp was a degree colder then at the dam, vis was maybe slightly better. Found a couple of anchors, and lots of golf balls.

All in all, it was great to get back into the water after over a month off from diving.

John

I am very jealous and wish I had the thermal protection to allow me in the 55 deg water. Hopefully by April I will be able to jump in......or perhaps rent a thicker suit.

Thanks for the report Shaggie. Im jealous as well. :)

Willie

Cuda_72:
I am very jealous and wish I had the thermal protection to allow me in the 55 deg water. Hopefully by April I will be able to jump in......or perhaps rent a thicker suit.

I didn't say I wasn't cold!:wink:

Now 55f is a balmy water temp.--lol!!

Cuda_72:
What are diving in for that temp?

5mm full suit with an old thick (3/8?) farmer john with the legs cut off at the thigh and a 3mm hooded vest. Plus 5mm gloves and 5mm booties with 3mm neoprene socks (I hate cold feet)

wet-willie:
Thanks for the report Shaggie. Im jealous as well. :)

Willie

Heck Willie, It was colder that day (outside air temp) at Canyon Lake and you said you were fine! I think the water was also about 55 if I remember right.:14:

shaggie:
Heck Willie, It was colder that day (outside air temp) at Canyon Lake and you said you were fine! I think the water was also about 55 if I remember right.:14:
I did have a lot of fun at the bottom of the Brazos for about 2 hours saturday with my 5 year old grandson as my buddy. They are doing repairs on the dam and you can almost walk across. We loved it though. And he makes a great buddy. I sure look forward to him getting his OW. :)

I am hoping to get in the water this week or sometime next weekend ... maybe both.

Willie

Sounds pretty cool! Did you see any GIANT catfish that I've heard live at the bottom of dam in N America?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom