Lake Travis A long time ago

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lovetodive2

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I was reading the information on Lake Travis and getting pretty excited about the upcoming Spring/summer. The last time I was at lake Travis was about 1981. We would go to the scuba park and sometimes camp some where there right before it and dive off some rocks. Can you tell it's been a long time. Is the scuba park still there? Every year we would have an easter egg hunt there, it was pretty neat. I look forward to meeting new divers
and making a camping trip there. Thanks and have a great weekend.:D

Unfortunately Don Brod's Scuba Park closed about 3 years ago. I never got a chance to dive there myself, but several divers I met said it was a very good setup for both classes and recreational diving.

The Texas Swamp Diving Team will be headed to Travis several times this year (since it is a good central spot for most of our members). Be on the lookout for the announcements!

Hi Luv!
Thats about a decade before I came to Austin (and learned to dive] - BUT - that sounds a lot like Windy Point to me.

There's a county park there and also a private park - the family's name escapes me at the moment [which is irksome as we're there almost every weekend with classes] - but both feature camping, diving and rocks to jump in off of during your SI. The private park also has some sunken features and lots of training platforms!

Now you also get to add Mansfield Dam Park, where the Swamp Divers met, presumably to their great pleasure. They have camping, platforms & sunken stuff also.

Let me know when you come! I'm starting to psych for going back to Travis in the spring
Cheers

Larry is thinking of Windy Point, which is just beyond Hippie Hollow.

Windy Point has a "public" side (run by the LCRA) and a Privately run side. Most scuba instruction happens on the Private side.

There was a place called scuba park. Mikes got it right. I heard really mixed reviews about dealing with the owner. If he liked you he was a great guy, if he didn't then he wasn't.

Tom

I had heard about "The" Scuba Park - and also about it's owner and policies - but I've never gotten there either.

Of course - the Windy Point Parks have the same kind of rocky features so I thought it possible that Lovetodive had gone there. If nothing else - that & Mansfield are his choices now!

Isn't it interesting that we've got dueling Lake Travis threads going at the moment!

Cheers

Happy Friday!
Scuba Park did close a few years ago. The owner was a hard individual to deal with. If he did not like you he made yours and your groups lives miserable. But that is in the past.
The public side of Windy Point is Bob Weintz Windy Point Park, the private side is Barstows.
Have a great weekend. Stay wet!

I know I have been to the scuba park a bunch of times. I use to go with classes through Houston Scuba. I don't know what the place was where the rocks were but sounds like Wendy Point.
I have no clue where we camp but I think it was close to the scuba park. We never had problems with the old grump at the scuba park, but we brought a lot of groups up there.

I bet we could get a pretty big group together to dive and camp. It sure would be a good time, that's for sure. I know most scuba people are pretty crazy.

I read these messages and I get so excited about diving. Just moving back from Calfornia were I didn't dive as much as I should of, I am ready to get back into it.

Back
Top Bottom