Lake Tenkiller report - 6-4-05

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trisha

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I hit #50 -- whooo hooo!
Old boat dock - new scuba park, Lake Tenkiller State Park near Gore, Oklahoma. Saturday afternoon, June 4, partly cloudy, low 90s. 35-40 ft for 40-45 minutes, viz poor from surface to 15 ft, then opened up to 20 feet, water temp at depth 66 F. Bluegills, perch, striped bass, one humongous bass in the single boat!

Richard and I decided to check out the new scuba park dedicated this year at Lake Tenkiller, our old stomping ground. There were lots of tents and RVs, and two guys from Ft. Smith were already at the old boat dock doing a surface interval. The information on finding stuff was excellent!
We got wet around 5:30 pm and paddled out almost to the corner of the buoyed area, dropped down to 25 ft, and found the bus. Richard explored inside while I communed with the striped bass and bluegills on top. Interesting!
We followed the cliffs at 20-25 feet and found the single boat, a pair of boats, and the marble dedication marker. And folks, there are fish down there! Didn't see any catfish, though, and we looked.

Back topside the gentlemen told us of another marker at the base of a tree at around 60-70 feet. We were going to do that Sunday, but got rained on (and lightning! and wind!) big-time. By then we were back at our trailer in Checotah with an option to get into the storm cellar.
This could be a nice summer!
http://www.travelok.com/mediaProf/pressReleases.asp?id=896

I had a chance to check out this park over Memorial Day Weekend. The biggest problem is that the scuba park is in the middle of the camping area and all the campers are swimming in the scuba area and messing up the vis in the shallows.

Before they put the scuba park in there were very few swimmers in this area but now that the buoys are up it is full of them even though there is a separate swimming area.

Also, the set-up area needs a lot of work. There is no place to gear-up. It would be nice if they put in some benches to setup and then walk to the water. The rocks and other debris makes enty (especially in a set of doubles) very trecherous.

They still have money left to spend on this project. I would like to see them spend it on surface items like benches, signs to keep out swimmers and some specified parking area. On busy weekends people set-up campsites anywhere in this area including the normal parking areas.

Overall the park has potential but I will continue to dive in other areas until the park is improved.

Granted my experience was over a busy weekend but this erea is one of the busiest areas on the lake on any weekend and the scuba park will just add to the conjestion without proper surface area planning.

HK33, my husband and I are disagreeing about the same thing. On the one hand, the camping at Fisherman's Point (I think this is the right name for the old boat ramp) encourages non-divers to be practically on top of the scuba park.
On the other hand, it's great if you are one of the campers -- you can grab your gear and walk right into the water. And doesn't Crappie Point have a designated camping spot next to the diving regulations sign?
We've dove with snorkelers and swimmers before and that hasn't been a problem. In fact, that tends to keep the boats and personal watercraft away. And it's fun to have our daughters freedive with us.
As for gearing up, we forgot our tarp but put those big rocks to good use. We usually gear up from our tailgate or the back of my Honda Accord station wagon.
You know you're a diver when your ride is chosen for gas mileage, safety record... and the number of tanks you can cram into the trunk!
Hope to see you there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom