Lake Tenkiller in Oklahoma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Does anyone on this board ever go to Tenkiller or any other lake in Oklahoma?
I would like to get another dive in before it gets very very cold.
PM me if anyone wants to get a trip going.

Nope. Never been there, but post it to my Diving in USA if even semi-worthwhile.

Amber,
I would be game if I still lived in OK. I heard that Tenkiller is about the most accessible dive site out that way. I lived in OK for about 10 years...went to Junior High and High School in Sand Springs and undergraduate at TU.

Good luck with your trip and say hello to all the other okies for me!

diverjed once bubbled...
Nope. Never been there, but post it to my Diving in USA if even semi-worthwhile.

Well, it just depends on what you think is worthwhile. If you want to see a school-bus sized catfish, then this may be the lake for you!:)

That'll work for me then.

I imagine they're kind of like riding a whale shark then.

diverjed once bubbled...
I imagine they're kind of like riding a whale shark then.

Maybe so....There's a lot of local legend type of stories that float around here about those things. I have heard so many different things about those catfish, that I am kinda scared to get back in the lake!:scared:
But they tend to stay around the dam area of the lake. If you fly over the lake in a helicopter you can see the black masses at the bottom and that's them!:fishy:
But I have heard that they wait at the bottom for unsuspecting divers and eat them. Now I don't know if that's really true or just one of those stories, but who knows?:confused:

Amber

Sounds very far-fetched.

Probably just your average sized catfish (arm's length) that the cajun like to hold wrestling matches with.

But they let anyone dive in this lake huh?

Do you have to pay?

No you don't have to pay.
This is the lake that I did my OW dives at.
There are some really clear spots in the lake. Our "spot" where we did the checkout dives was awful! That was the first time I had ever dove besides the pool and it scared me.
I couldn't see past two feet. It was pretty bad.
Most people who dive there have their own boats, but there is a dive shop on the lake.

I hope I don't read about any missing divers in the lake anytime soon.

That's been happening a lot in the news lately.

MissAmberDiva once bubbled...
No you don't have to pay.
This is the lake that I did my OW dives at.
I also completed my OW dives there. Did you get certified with the Dive shop there?

Back
Top Bottom