Lake Shuswap, BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jsm

Reaction score
I'm going to be on a houseboat on Lake Shuswap for a week in June. I was wondering if I should bother bringing my dive gear? I don't have room to bring tanks, so I would have to rent them as well as have a place nearby to get fills. Anyone know anything?

-Jon

jsm:
I'm going to be on a houseboat on Lake Shuswap for a week in June. I was wondering if I should bother bringing my dive gear? I don't have room to bring tanks, so I would have to rent them as well as have a place nearby to get fills. Anyone know anything?

-Jon

Way too many boats on the lake - including those annoying jet skiis that will probably use your dive flag as a part of a slalom course. I would definately not do it. In any case, I suspect the vis would be almost 0.

Darryl

i believe my dad dove there (primarily to set a mooring bouy for my uncle) this past summer... i will try to find out more.

I do know that u wanna keep any exposed skin out of the water around the shore as he went swimming & developed a horrible case of swimmer's itch.

I spent every summer there houseboating for years. Great boat for swimming, boating, and all that fun stuff, but diving? No idea if there is anywhere to get tanks filled, and honestly, there isn't gonna be much to see. Vis should be fine though if you decide to dive. I snorkeled there as a kid every summer and had a blast, but not a whole lot down there.

Hey. Just lettin you know about the Shuswap. I live about a block from the lake shore. I have never personally dove that lake, but have done local lakes around here when I'm bored. I hear that there are a couple cool things to see. In Salmon Arm, there is a dive store that does airfills as well as in Kamloops. Have fun houseboating. I wish I could go.
Dive Safe
Mike

I say YES!! Take your gear! You'd be surprised how good it is.

I dove there last summer and expected the same type of diving as is in Alberta and was pleasantly surprised. I'm not sure what type of diving you are used to but it is better than anything in Alberta that I've done, vis is better (don't know what June would be like), life is better, temp is better. We had our own air but I believe you can get fills in Salmon Arm. There is also supposed to be a place called "Copper Island Dive and Tan" in Sicamous that you can get info about the dive sites. There is a very interesting wreck near the tracks by Sicamous called the White Smith.

bcsean:
I spent every summer there houseboating for years. Great boat for swimming, boating, and all that fun stuff, but diving? No idea if there is anywhere to get tanks filled, and honestly, there isn't gonna be much to see. Vis should be fine though if you decide to dive. I snorkeled there as a kid every summer and had a blast, but not a whole lot down there.
hey i c you dove shuswap. me my familey and some familey friend are going up there this summer to go houseboating. i am trying to convins my dad to do some diveing but he thinks the vis wony be very good. so i was wundering if you could send me some pictures if you have any
. paul_d_jones21@hotmail.com

Shuswap Lake has numerous dive sites,including The Whitesmith, a 78 ft steam powered icebreaker an easy dive in sicamous. As well as a houseboat on copper island and a couple great wall dives on copper island and numerous other dives on the shuswap. Check with Copper Island Diving in Salmon Arm for more info and air fills

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom