Lake Rawlings Customer Service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If Lake Rawlings were mine, and budget wasn't much of an issue

If I owned Lake Rawlings, and money wasn't much of an issue... Some things I would do...

First, I'd setup an online "eticket" system with user printable passes, or possibly a kiosk based on credit cards like airlines use (credit card # is on magstripe track #2). This could help eliminate counter jam. People show up, they agree to the waiver on a touch screen or whatever, and they are in. Billing is done. Money is in the bank. It could be done with open source software.

Second, I'd probably look into a frequent diver program to continue to help streamline the above.

Third, I'd build a trolly system of sorts. Maybe built out of welded pipe following roller coaster design, maybe just light rail. The electric motor driven "trolly" would shuttle between down near the water and up at the office fill station, carrying tanks for guests to be refilled.

In the end, work smarter not harder.

And if money was no object (power bills), and it wouldn't cloud up the water... I think I'd have to build a waterfall on the far side of the quarry :)

I like going to Rawlings to fart around. Great place to check out new or old equipment. But my friend and I were talking about it this weekend.... for nearly the same money we could have booked a trip with Lynnhaven, which we do plan to do (I still have a boat ticket from last year).

(And on the note of equipment, I'd like to have the chance to dive a Optima or Inspiration eCCR there, prefer the latter, if anyone knows anyone that does "tryout" dives on clean gear. Willing to pay for the experience).

Dori Phillips is the Dive Rite Optima representative and instructor trainer in the area She always has the latest gear and trains at Rawlings from time to time. Her numbers are 703-698-7220 or 202-203-9518 dori@thediveshop-va.com give her a call on the Optima

I'm surprised to hear so much Kevin slash Lake Rawlings bashing in this thread, I first dove Lake Rawlings and met Kevin about eight years ago while my then fifteen year old son was taking OW lessons- I acted as a safety diver for the DS given the size of the class. I personally like the lake for training and testing new gear configurations prior to crawling into a cave or wreck in 130+fsw. Over the years Saturdays and Sunday mornings fill with more and more students and classes which is fine by me, diving is supposed to be fun and training to dive as any certified diver will tell you can be trying at times, eighty feet of water, six knot currents and three feet of vis is not the place to introduce a fresh OW student to his first OW diving experience. The Lake Rawlings staff in my opinion go out of their way to provide a safe environment for training at all recreational levels. Besides washing your gear down after a day of diving Rawlings beats washing it down for one in saltwater just to test a gear configuration or practicing shooting bags. We generally camp there Saturday and Sunday, The students generally disappear around noon on Sunday - water returns to unbelievable vis, ready for the next weekend. I can honestly say that the only problem that I have ever had with the Lake Rawlings staff, and by chance it happened to be Kevin, is that he noticed one of my bottles needed a hydro and wouldn't fill it, however he happily rented me a full one for $7.00. If by chance you give Lake Rawlings another try you ought to let Kevin know of your experience I'm sure it would make a difference to him or give him a shout 804-478-9000. I am not affiliated with Lake Rawlings in any manner other than a camper diver customer.

Now to all of you that bash the Mid-Atlantic diving: try diving off shore late August through mid November you may find yourself in 120fsw with 100' vis 70 degrees on the bottom with all the tropical fish of your dreams- diving the wrecks from late April early May to August is a crap shoot- either unbelievable or ten feet or less as we all know-

I agree with almost everything you said Douglas, & I am no instructor, but my best bud is (although not currently teaching) & he used to take his students out for Ocean or Bay dives for their last 2 training dives.
He had many of his divers become avid Ocean divers, knowing what they were in for under as controlled circumstances as possible.
Most divers who do all their training in a quarry such as Rawlings get overwhelmed with their 1st try in the Ocean if it is not a perfect outing & will revert back to what they are comfortable with.
I know this for a fact as I was trained with all my dives at Rawlings with my wife. I loved my 1st Ocean dive in VB, my wife hated it, but she also hated Rawlings. Opting for what she wanted & saw when we tried a Discover Scuba excursion in Coz.
Luckily after a while I got her to try NC, which she loved & now she even dives VB with me. But she still doesn't love it.
She is in her TDI Advanced Nitrox/ Deco Procedure class right know & did the Manuela dive last weekend with me at 160fsw.
As I have said I have NEVER had a problem with Kevin or any of the Rawlings staff.

Most divers who do all their training in a quarry such as Rawlings get overwhelmed with their 1st try in the Ocean if it is not a perfect outing & will revert back to what they are comfortable with.
I know this for a fact as I was trained with all my dives at Rawlings with my wife. I loved my 1st Ocean dive in VB, my wife hated it, but she also hated Rawlings. Opting for what she wanted & saw when we tried a Discover Scuba excursion in Coz.
Luckily after a while I got her to try NC, which she loved & now she even dives VB with me. But she still doesn't love it.

I just wanted to point out that your theorem is both irrelevant, and flawed. The fact that your wife hates diving Rawlings/VB has nothing to do with the fact that her OW training was exclusive to Rawlings. You just spoiled her on warm water tropical diving. :wink:

Irrelevant & flawed, maybe that's why she dives in Lake Erie with me, that Tropical 40 degree water.
But it was after getting her some experience in real diving that Rawlings can't provide. Like how to deal with current. You are always taught that you swim into the current 1st, then drift back, but in the real world that doesn't always work out.
I still maintain if all you dive is Quarries than you are destined to be a Quarry diver & if that makes you happy than great. But don't bash VB diving for 1 trip that wasn't like the quarry.

I'm going to stop posting in this thread before people lose the ability to tell us apart.

Just returned from a 4 night stay, we had a great time. Did our Advanced Open water with Keven and found him to be professional, well spoken and fun to dive with threw out our training. Their rental gear was better then most I've used threw out the Caribbean.

Campground was clean. Had no problems paying to shower we were able to take nice hot showers together for .75. Having done a fair amount of camping, many camp grounds charge for hot water on top of you nightly rate, so it was no surprise to us.

Planning to head back in a month or two for more training.

Anne
WOW!

I thought I knew most people threw out Charlottesville. And, boy, that Rawlings sure does have much better rental gear than anywhere threw out the Caribbean. But did you say that Keven guy now does Advanced Open Water at Rawlings too?

Gosh oh Gosh, Rawlings sure seems like a better deal post after new member, first time poster, post...

:D

I'm going to stop posting in this thread before people lose the ability to tell us apart.

I know you weren't the 1 who compared the 2, but the way you defend Rawlings, & I have never seen you post on diving VB, I just figured you had drawn the same conclusions.

WOW!

I thought I knew most people threw out Charlottesville. And, boy, that Rawlings sure does have much better rental gear than anywhere threw out the Caribbean. But did you say that Keven guy now does Advanced Open Water at Rawlings too?

Gosh oh Gosh, Rawlings sure seems like a better deal post after new member, first time poster, post...

:D
Andy, we should go there & get our deep wreck penetration cert.

Back
Top Bottom