Lake pleasant dive spots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

titandiver

Registered
Reaction score
Just wanted to start a new thread which lists all the dive spots that people have dove, the characteristics of the spot, what can people expect to see there and maybe rate them.

Pipeline Cove
Dove the south side of Pipeline Cove on sun apr 1 2007 temp was around 60 to 65 depending on location viz was approximately 15 to 20 with a thermo cline at around 40feet which I did not venture under because it looked murky and felt cold. The site is located on a steep hill with a few trees and bushes and the usual lake pleasant bottom structure. There seemed to bee a drop off under the thermo cline which did not get explored on this dive but hopefully will be later on. As you venture further in to the cove there is some interesting rock formations a few wall formations and generally a well broken up terrain that keeps you interested and a few trees under water and some tree stumps and roots everything is at around 25 to 35 feet of water. There ware also a lot of fish the further that we got in to the cove. Since it is a cove and it does not look like there is a lot of water circulating around the bottom is covered with a really fine dust that is very easily kicked up even more so than some of the other more accessible spots that I have dove at the lake. Overall I would rate this a very good spot to dive. Some of the draw backs are that it is only boat accessible and in the summer the viz might get bad because of the water circulation but we will have to see for that. It also seems like a good spot for treasure hunting I have dove it twice once free diving and once on scuba and both times I came up with my hands full fist time was a small minnow net which my friend that had the boat thought he can use and the second time was a really nice cast iron anchor.

10-lane boat ramp. Typical bottom composition of a gradual slope. Max depth I've reached there is in the 40' range. Appears to be very busy during the spring and summer weekends

Desert Tortoise. Typical bottom composition of a gradual slope. I've gotten down to the 60' range there with the lake full. When the water level is down, there are some areas where you can reach the 80' range easily. Desert Tortoise actually has better diving when the water level is down to about 40-60' below full (Two Cow area). Also busy during the spring and summer weekends.

Dirty Shirt. Possibly closed now so it doesn't matter.

Scorpion Bay. Possibly closed now so it doesn't matter.

I've checked out some other areas around the lake from the surface and cross-referenced them to a depth map as well as checking them out with water levels down and haven't found anything much different than what I've already posted. We'll be trying out some new areas in the coming months...that is unless the Bay is still open.

Scorpion Bay/Dirty Shirt - Let's no go there...

Desert Tortoise Rd. [High water level] - Rating: Sux I hate it. It was the first and only site I dove when first certified, I was so bored I didn't dive the lake for a year until I was turned on to Scorpion.

Desert Tortoise Rd. [Low water level] - Rating: It's wet. Got a big sinkhole, at least it did last summer, and a couple smaller one's, some pretty good contours, you can get to 80', not that depth is the most important thing, but at that depth during that time of year, the bottom hasn't seen sunlight in a long time.

Sherrif's Dock - Rating: Sux's. Having been newly certified with no buddies, I booked a ride on the Diver Down II, we did 2 dives right off the dock, it was shallow, nothing of interest. Waste of $50

Old Dam - Rating: I look forward to our annual trip. It's different, it's a submerged DAM, it's intact (except for the breach), only accessible by boat(?), only diveable recreational wise at Low water level. See my report here:
http://www.getbentscuba.com/blog/2006/11/old-waddell-dam-lake-pleasant.php
Rob: You got the boat booked for this year's dive??

Two Cow - Rating: a little better than DT. Shallow, differnt contours (no roads), little walls here and there.

Desert Tortoise/Two Cow [Low water level]: Rating: Eh not bad. This little dive Granny and I did the other day wasn't bad, little walls, different coutours, worth a go.
http://www.getbentscuba.com/blog/2007/03/lake-pleasant-scuba-diving-video.php

Vista Point (Private side) - Rating: Didn't sound worth the extra $1. Haven't dove there but by all accounts is a slope down with not much to see.

-Garrett

shark.byte.usa\:
Rob: You got the boat booked for this year's dive??

It's too soon. With the water level only dropping about 40' last year, and starting to rise earlier than usual, I want to see where that's at before we book it. We may need to do it a month earlier or later. I'm kind of hoping the water level drops a little more. I'd like to get more light penetration deeper along the dam and check out the breach.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom